Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start I have not checked the fuses yet will be doing that in the morning, but I figured I would post this question since it seems to be more then one possible fuse and controlling other things. Is there a harness plug that connects the driver door the the rest of the car and where is it? Not one of the switches on the driver door works (door locks, memory settings, windows, mirror controls) anything. None of the individual window controls works, but the passenger door lock controls work. I should mention the driver side mirror glass is missing and wires not connected to anything, not sure if this is looped system and something unplugged cause other things to not work. Advice anyone. Seems might just be a harness to door. If the master door control is unplugged would it cause other window controls not to work?

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so I was not sleepy and did some looking in the wee hours. Fuses are all fine, it does appear the window relay is missing I used the seat one seems like the same one, but not working still. The lights on the door controls do light up so the harness must be plugged in. Not one window switch works still. Now confused.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow I seem to have alot of codes that have to do with the door controls. 23 actual codes that pertain to it. I have each code and the description of it already. I will post that shortly to see what you think. Is it simply the door switches are all bad or something else?

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B1698,B1708,B1713 Mirror switch (L up, R up, R down) input stuck high
B1718 Power folding mirror switch input circuit high
B2200,B2201 LF window switch stuck in (up,down) position
B2212,B2213 RF switch on LF door stuck (up,down) position
B2214 LR switch on LF door stuck up position
B2216 RR switch on LF door stuck up position
B2220,B2221 LF door lock/unlock switch stuck in (lock,unlock)
B2234 ?
B2236 ?
B2242,B2243 memory (exit,set) switch failed
B3467,B3472,B3477 (LF,RF,LR) window express Down circuit low
B3482 malfunction window express down circuit low
B1652 Loss of keep alive memory (KAM)
B1983 device power circuit low
U1170 loss of driver door switch asm serial data

There are other codes as well but these were apparent to the problem if you want other codes I can give them as well. Let me know if any of this helps and anyone else can help me out.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Are you saying your OBD was listing those codes on your car? If so, clear the codes and with key ON, manipulate the door swtichs and then display the codes again.

Or are you saying those are all the codes that can relate to doors and switches in general.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those where all the codes that pertained to the door that the obd was reding off, I have another 10-15 codes on other things it gave me as well. I already reset the codes and have disconnected the battery for about 1 minute to see if it would reset anything and still no windows or anything on driver door working. I will try to do switches to get any codes reading again. What if a code says current after it, does that mean it is okay or what?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
With that many codes covering practically all of the door switch operations, I would suspect the Driver Door Module (DDM) is at the center of the problem.

The DDM is the interconnect point for all the inputs and feedback signals in the door. You will have to remove the door trim panel to check the security and cleanliness of all the connectors plugged into the DDM; there are five or six (?) connectors.

Best case would be a loose or corroded connector, a corroded switch set, or some obvious wire harness damage. Worst case is probably a failed DDM.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if it is a bad DDM you know what that would cost, I plan to go look at it shortly and take the door apart. There much to taking the panel of or just like any other car?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
There are four screws; one at bottom rear corner, one under a plastic trim piece behind the door-open handle, and two behind a flap (velco attached) behind the door-close handle.

Lift the panel up enough to reach one electrical connector and the lock linkage rod clip. If the inner panel has to be removed (and I think it does), the plastic fasteners are the push-in-the-center-pin to release type.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
None of the contacts are coroded, they actually look perfect so does the inside of the module. Is there any way to make sure its the module or just assume from all the problems that is the problem. Like I said none of the window switches work on any door. lock switch driver door not work. lock switch passenger door works, back door locks lock but not unlock. memory buttons do not work on driver door but switches do light up. Plus all the codes from above. Anybody every have to replace this module and know a price?

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so just talked to Caddy dealer and the module is about $280 and he said it most likely is not plug and play? is this true? He thinks it needs to be programmed by a dealer for the options that are on the car.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay is there a way to test the driver door module or is there a way the dealer can test before I get one. I did also forget to mention the keyless entry does not work either

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
When you remove the door trim panel be careful. That one will have hooks on it, when you remove the screws, lift straight up on the door panel, don't pull.
When you lift it will disengage the hooks and the panel will just about fall off in your hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have already done all that. But not sure if it is indeed the door module. Is there a way to check the module. Can I take it to a dealer to check it. Expensive part to not be sure on.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
What you need to do before you go replacing parts is test the circuitry going to the module.
Make sure the module has a good power and ground, a good data connection to the other modules on the car and then go from there.
You could have a bad door switch assembly.
If you could have someone connect a scan tool to the car and read some of the data from the door control module you would know more.
It is hard to know from a couple of symptoms and some codes where the problem really lies.
Is there any damage evident on the door switch or connectors? Like overheating fore example.

Do you have any test equipment like test lights or a meter?

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I have a light tester and a multimeter and in the works of getting a scantool, but do not have that yet. All contacts on driver module are perfect and all connectors are seated firm. Remember its not just the windows not working it is every button on the driver door. Everyother door lock works but not the window switches. I am going to get the repair manual to figure out the wiring colors to check the positive and ground are flowing into the module. If I do have good power coming in where do I go from there?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Are you still struggling with this DDM several days later?

If you have located the problem, be sure to let us know.

Otherwise, I will examine the schematics (for my '98 Seville) and try to give you some test points to narrow the problem down a little more.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I'll help more as soon as I can.
If this is an emergency... hang up and dial 911.

Okay, just kidding, but if it is urgent you might need to find someone locally to help you.
I'll do what I can but I am pretty busy these days.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac Seville SLS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No emergency, I can drive with the windows up. I don't have a spec book for testing to see if that is the problem, just let me know how to test it so I don't spend needless money if that is not the problem. Thanks for any help guys

1 - 20 of 31 Posts