Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed all 3 beake lights are out. Rear parking lights come on- but no light up from either side nor the center trunk light when brake is applied...help?

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help..........anybody........bump..........not even a view?....

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is the fuse box? does anybody know what size?

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
Are you sure there out? how are you checking this? are you pressing down on the brake then running around to the back of the car to see if there on??:thepan:

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zy...I thank you for you help and entirely necessary comments...thank you... really...now that Zy has had his moment to be the class clown- can any one lend assistance to the question i asked?

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
Flo is usually wrong but if three are bad I would have to suspect a fuse too.
I'm gonna give Flo some pts for a reasonable guess!:xgrin:

What!?! Where's the Love Bobby??!?:rolleyes::thepan::thepan::thepan:

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
Zy...I thank you for you help and entirely necessary comments...thank you... really...now that Zy has had his moment to be the class clown- can any one lend assistance to the question i asked?
So, do you want us to read the owners manual to you??? Several people have already said it is probably a fuse. The fuse block diagrams and locations are in the owners manual. Get yours out and read it.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if tell you that i can't find it- will you or anyone else be less of an @$$hOl3...i mean i was asking hoping someone has gotten to their fuse box before and might be able to tell me a general area...if you can't help me-pipe down. If you don't know off the rop of your head either-pipe down. can SOMEONE ELSE help me? I didn't know these type of difficult folks were common place obn the forum. If thats the case I guess the forum isn't helpful as it has been in the past. Where are all the classy- less snobby- more helpful members?

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a few typo's (ex. Top of your head vice Rop of your head) sorry

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
'03 is very different from '04.
I guess you are talking about an '03 here so we'll go that way.

First thing, the fuse is located in the underhood fuse block. Look at the cover, it is labeled STOP LP SW, 15A.
If it is good the next thing to do would be to look at the stop bulbs.
CTSs like to eat stop lamp bulbs.
If the bulbs are bad, put new ones in, if the CHMSL doesn't work still and the other two do, you probably have a broken wire from the body to the trunk. There is a plastic piece in the wiring that keeps the harnes from getting pinched in the lid, but it causes the wire to flex in one spot, often promoting breakage.

If the bulbs are good and the wire is not broken then you might look at the stop light switch.
Do you have a test lamp? Any good with electricity?

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
THis is going to sound stupid, but are you checking the brake lights with the ignition on, or off? The brake lights only work on the CTS if the ignition is turned to RUN. Otherwise, there isn't any illumination. It's odd, I know, but I noticedf this on my CTS the first day I got it. ;) Have someone push the brake pedal while the car is running and see if they're on. If they still don't work, then it's time to start diagnosing. (which you've already began)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Oh yeah, good point.
CTS brake lights don't work unless the key is on.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Fuse box under hood and fuse box under rear seat. Send me $1.00 in a plain brown envelop, and I will tell you which fuse box to check. Send an extra $5.00 per month for the next 3 months, and....

You want the fuse box under driver's side rear seat. Just pull up rear cushion. It has a spring clip on each side. There is a relay and a separate fuse that control the brake lights. Picture in owner's manual, but not a clear picture as far as I am concerned. My wife has car now; so I can't check it out.

Please respond if I need to pull out my shop manual for clarification.

Fuse and relay might be marked 'BAS.'

1 - 20 of 25 Posts