Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
17 XT5 AWD Luxury 2014 ATS 3.6 RWD Premium
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear tires on the ATS were worn, so I bought the same BF Goodrich that were on it -which also match the front, but are larger staggered, per OEM.
The front tires have great tread depth, so I didn’t replace them. But, I noticed that the inside of both fronts have a little more wear, so I am going to get a 4 wheel alignment-right?
There are about 74k miles on it. I also have a slow leak on one front tire. I put 60lbs in it, jacked it up and rotated it, using soapy water to look for the leak. I didn’t see any nails etc. or bubbles.
Also checked the valve stem and it didn’t blow any bubbles.
I’ll have to pull it off and check for a bead leak -but also wondered if the rims get cracked very often, like the ones on my Z 06?

· Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
1,202 Posts
If you observe uneven tire wear then an alignment is a good place to start. As for the slow leak it could be a failing bead, and/or corrosion on the wheel preventing a good seal. Rim cracking is possible, but if you have the factory forged wheels on the car then it is unlikely. Be careful not to exceed the max PSI allowed in the tires when putting in air.

· Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
465 Posts
I can't recall the factory specs on negative camber, but that is usually how you get that kind of wear. I know my prior Pilot Super Sports on my ATS had cupping on the inside of the front tires after 30k miles and that was with a good alignment. I'm not sure where the inside of my Pilot Sport 4S's are right now, but the rears are worn enough I'm planning on replacing them all next spring.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you observe uneven tire wear then an alignment is a good place to start. As for the slow leak it could be a failing bead, and/or corrosion on the wheel preventing a good seal. Rim cracking is possible, but if you have the factory forged wheels on the car then it is unlikely. Be careful not to exceed the max PSI allowed in the tires when putting in air.
Wow didn’t know they were forged - that is great. Why Gm didn’t put them on the C7 Z06 I can’t figure out. Mine have been fine, but there have been many on the Corvette Forum with cracked rims on the Z06 and Grand Sport.

· Registered
92 Posts
You can expect the inside edges to wear faster than the rest of the tire. That is a characteristic of any "performance" vehicle.

If the tires are wearing evenly side to side, just wearing the inside edge slightly, I would not touch it. Most of the shops today will butcher even the most basic alignments.

· Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
3,838 Posts
Did you check the valve stem for bubbles where it seals to the wheel? I have had two TPMS equipped vehicles develop slow leaks there due to corrosion buildup around the seal.

AND they don't leak when you increase the pressure to a higher level. I have a 2018 GMC 2500HD pickup and at maximum payload the rear tires are to be inflated to 80 PSI which is way too high when the pickup is unloaded instead of at its maximum 3,000 pound payload. With the problem tire at 75 psi, no leak or loss of air but drop it to around 60 PSI where it should be for light/no load and it starts a slow leak around the valve stem.

Rodger

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you check the valve stem for bubbles where it seals to the wheel? I have had two TPMS equipped vehicles develop slow leaks there due to corrosion buildup around the seal.

AND they don't leak when you increase the pressure to a higher level. I have a 2018 GMC 2500HD pickup and at maximum payload the rear tires are to be inflated to 80 PSI which is way too high when the pickup is unloaded instead of at its maximum 3,000 pound payload. With the problem tire at 75 psi, no leak or loss of air but drop it to around 60 PSI where it should be for light/no load and it starts a slow leak around the valve stem.

Rodger
That is a good thought -I’ll check that tomorrow.!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts