Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my 99 Eldo ETC started honking and blinking in the middle of the night. I was fast asleep at 1 a.m. in the morning when a neighbor rang the doorbell. The car is parked outside so quite a few neighbors hate me now for killing their sleep!

There does not seem to be any sign of attempted forced entry, so I'm guessing some kind of malfunction. What could it be? It was quite sunny, dry and warm for the last week or so, and just rained last night when the car started honking. I looked in the manual today and it says something about the car honking when the battery gets disconnected and reconnected again. Could the weather have caused this - the rain also came with a sudden drop in temperature but then again this has never happened before?

I really don't want this to happen again as this really was embarrasing! I went outside thinking the car was being jacked in the pouring rain in the middle of the night!

The car got a new battery about 2 years ago. The voltage is now at about 13.9 Volts, was 14.4 when I started it this morning. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe
821 Posts
Sounds like a fluke if there are no codes or anything.
Your voltages look proper, so I'm gonna bet just something with the wetness set something out of whack.
I don't really think there's a whole lot you can do other than spray your car down with a hose with the alarm down and see if that recreates the condition.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it also have been the wind? The rain was actually more of a storm with a lot a wind prior to when I got up to go out and check, I am told.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Could it also have been the wind? The rain was actually more of a storm with a lot a wind prior to when I got up to go out and check, I am told.
IIRC the factory alarm does not have motion sensors to the wind should not have been a factor unless you had some kind of fluke like a door not being completely latched and the wind popping it loose. I'd try the hose diagnostic and concentrate on the doors - perhaps a leaking seal shorted a door sensor. The DIC should have displayed THEFT ATTEMPTED the next time you started the car.

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
voltage drop, used to happen to me when the car wasn't regularly daily driven, you say your battery was replaced, but was it really the culprit? Did you get your alternator tested? if it's weak it may not be charging the system sufficiently leading to a weak battery...

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Most common is the trunk pull down not fully pulling the lid down or the front edge of the hood is loose on the rubber bumpers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts