Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 CTS with the factory alarm. I purchased it Tuesday and so far it's been an awesome car; until yesterday afternoon. For some reason my alarm keeps going off when I put the key in the ignition and turn the power on (without starting the car) and while I'm driving.

Here's what I do when I exit the car.

1. I shut off the A/C and radio.
2. Turn off the car and exit.
3. Shut the door and press the lock key once; horn beeps once and the lights flash; Sometimes I’ll press the lock button twice and I continue on with my business.

About one out of every 5-6 times, when I go to get back in the car, I’ll press the unlock key twice to unlock all the doors. I get in the car, shut the door and put the key in the ignition and turn the power on (not starting the car) and the alarm just starts going off. I'll take the key out and press the unlock button (supposed to turn off the alarm) with no avail. I have to sit there and press a combination of buttons between lock, unlock and panic before the horn will finally stop...and it's usually a different array of pressed button to get the horn off each time it happens. It will usually start up again while I'm driving and I’ll have to go thru the motions again. It's getting REALLY annoying.

I've also noticed that when I'm in the car and the alarm is going nuts; when I finally get the horn to stop going off, if the door is open and press the lock button on the remote twice something will chime 3 times and then the car acts normal for X amount of time. But it’s a erratic incident. There’s doesn’t seem to be one single thing I’m doing or not doing to cause it to go nuts.

Has anyone encountered something like this? Any clue on what's wrong? I suspect it's something I'm doing wrong and not the car. If I can't get it figured out by tomorrow mid-day I'm going to take it back to the dealership and see if they can figure it out. But I figured I would ask on here before some car sales man or something makes me look like a fool! LOL

Thanks for any help,
Aaron

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
there was somebody else on here who had the same problem, but i am not sure he fixed the issue or not. but i do remember him stating that if he opened all four doors before he started his car that it wouldnt happen. sounds funny to do, but thats what he did. hopefully he can chime in and give a little advice to you

also, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2006 CTS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. I'm half temped to go out and disconnect the battery and let everything go back to factory and see if I run into the same deal. It's REALLY embarassing to be driving down the road with the horn going off. LOL:banghead:

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
haha...i hear ya. i would definitely disconnect the battery and let it stay disconnected for at least 30 minutes, then go from there. also, check the fuze or possibly if swap it out and see if that helps...

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
First of all, if the alarm goes off again. Which is sound like it does often, sadly to say. Just open the drivers door and insert the key into the hole and turn to unlock. I don't know which way it is, towards the front would be a guess. That should turn off the alarm.

Also, you mentioned about hearing three chimes as you have the door open and you are pressing all the keys on the button to turn the alarm off. Well the three chimes are from when you press the Lock button and then the car will lock/arm inself in X amount of seconds. 6 to 8 I believe after all doors are closed. So my advice is to deactivate that feature, since you wouldn't be needing it if you are going to use the remote full time. It's basically there for people who don't use the remote and presses the lock button on the door. Exit the car, and it locks itself within a few seconds.

To do this, go through the DIC to the set up menu. Scroll down there something that says Delayed Locking, just make sure it's has a dash instead of a check mark at the end. There will be other menu items that says Delayed (something or another) just make sure you get the Locking one. Hopefully that will be able to help you out.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 CTS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, if the alarm goes off again. Which is sound like it does often, sadly to say. Just open the drivers door and insert the key into the hole and turn to unlock. I don't know which way it is, towards the front would be a guess. That should turn off the alarm.

Also, you mentioned about hearing three chimes as you have the door open and you are pressing all the keys on the button to turn the alarm off. Well the three chimes are from when you press the Lock button and then the car will lock/arm inself in X amount of seconds. 6 to 8 I believe after all doors are closed. So my advice is to deactivate that feature, since you wouldn't be needing it if you are going to use the remote full time. It's basically there for people who don't use the remote and presses the lock button on the door. Exit the car, and it locks itself within a few seconds.

To do this, go through the DIC to the set up menu. Scroll down there something that says Delayed Locking, just make sure it's has a dash instead of a check mark at the end. There will be other menu items that says Delayed (something or another) just make sure you get the Locking one. Hopefully that will be able to help you out.

KOT
Thanks much!!! I'll give that a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts