Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read most of the posts on this forum about the air ride system in my 04 EXT and I have a couple of questions that I have not seen an answer to.

I took my truck to the dealer and they told me that both rear shocks were leaking and that the compressor is not pushing out enough pressure. I believe them about the shocks leaking. The compressor comes on for 20-25 seconds every 1-2 minutes (it comes on a lot) and I can also hear the shocks leak when i turn off the truck. I dont know that I believe them about the compressor not putting out enough pressure.
Is there anything wrong with replacing the shocks first and then replacing the compressor later if it is not putting out enough pressure?

Next, i have seen people mention the Monroe 40034 replacement shocks. Are those air shocks (OEM replacements) or gas shocks? So far, i have been looking at the Arnott Remanufactured OEM replacements. Does anyone have a preference between the Arnott OEM Remanufactured ones vs. the Monroe's?

Lastly, do these trucks have Air ride suspension in the front?

Thanks for your help, Nate.

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
I have read most of the posts on this forum about the air ride system in my 04 EXT and I have a couple of questions that I have not seen an answer to.

I took my truck to the dealer and they told me that both rear shocks were leaking and that the compressor is not pushing out enough pressure. I believe them about the shocks leaking. The compressor comes on for 20-25 seconds every 1-2 minutes (it comes on a lot) and I can also hear the shocks leak when i turn off the truck. I dont know that I believe them about the compressor not putting out enough pressure.
Is there anything wrong with replacing the shocks first and then replacing the compressor later if it is not putting out enough pressure?

just need to buy those

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAIR...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Next, i have seen people mention the Monroe 40034 replacement shocks. Are those air shocks (OEM replacements) or gas shocks? So far, i have been looking at the Arnott Remanufactured OEM replacements. Does anyone have a preference between the Arnott OEM Remanufactured ones vs. the Monroe's?

Lastly, do these trucks have Air ride suspension in the front?

Thanks for your help, Nate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAIR...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
air ride is only for leveling the rear of the vehicle when it is loaded down with cargo

the fronts are not air

i can get you a quote on GM OEM if you're interested just post your VIN, or get yourself up to ten posts so you can PM me your VIN - or email me your VIN ... or call during business hours

and i don't see a problem with your idea of trying to replace the shocks first and then see if the compressor is doing okay

only thing i would worry about is the compressor getting over-worked by running too much but there's not much you can do besides disable it to prevent any damage

·
Registered
EXT
5 Posts
I agree with Ripys. If you're compressor is going off every minute, just get the air shocks. If the compressor is pumping air its still working, tackle that problem with an arnotts rebuild kit when it goes bad. I would get a set of oem remanu'd air shocks from Arnotts, but replace them asap or unplug you compressor because it will die if you continue like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts