Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airbag light on intermittent today and finally stayed on. Pulled codes and got DTC B0065 LF/Driver Pretensioner Deployment Loop Open. Did a search of the forum tried the various quick fixes, fiddled with connectors, looked for obvious worn wire, used a small blast of compressed air on the buckle. Cleared codes, tried again and light is out. BUT, I seem to recall something about Sub's "voodoo" for this but can't find it. Any help?

ken

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
Black magic - may work; may not.

Buckle and unbuckle the seat belts 3 times. Buckle them and fully extend the belts, forcibly pulling at the end of travel, especially at the lap belt buckle/pretensioner (next to the console/seat middle section).

Those buckle systems (pretensioners) are monitored and contain an explosive gas generator which rapidly shortens lap/shoulder belt length in the event of an accident.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, Sub.

A few years ago I got up close and personal with the gas operated pretensioner and an airbag deployment on an Explorer. Saved my life.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
two days now and the light hasn't come back on so there must be some validity to the black magic.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Moving the seat back and forth tugs on/moves the yellow connector and associated wiring under the seat. These are the wires for the pretensioner and side airbag deployment This is an issue in last gen Sevilles, Devilles, and apparently first gen (RWD) STSs.

I've never looked into it in a Deville, but in a last gen Seville, there are zero electronics involved in the belt retractors or belt latches, other than the drivers side switch for the seatbelt reminder light in the IPC. The only thing connecting the pretensioner to the latch is a thick steel cable. Again, no electronics.

I'm never in the mood to tear into a Deville seat when I'm at the salvage yard, one day maybe :yup: .

In any case, if the warning comes on again in the future, I'd suggest disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting the yellow connectors under both seats.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
moist, thanks for the great detail about the yellow connectors. I'll probably print your comments & put it in my file of "stuff you don't find in the owner's manual". Meanwhile, i hope it'll be okay if I still believe in Sub's black magic.

·
Administrator
68,470 Posts
This TSB is germane. (2002 Seville service manual) 09-09-40-001B of 01/13/12. It addresses seat belt buckle switches and cleaning attempts.

Not that it means anything, but here's the electrical connector diagram for the driver's side belt buckle pretensioner switch.

Attachments

·
Administrator
68,470 Posts
............ and, from the 2002 Seville service manual, here's the buckle switch we're exercising - #16

From the manual descriptions it appears those switches control more than seat belt warnings, but I can't find the damn wiring diagrams. One of the descriptions refers to "disconnect the driver's side air bag and pretensioner yellow connector from the vehicle harness yellow connector ................." so it sounds like there's more here than meets the eye.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Never bothered looking for the diagrams, but they'd be mostly Greek to me anyway :yup: .

What I have physically seen on multiple years of last gen Sevilles (again I have NOT looked into Devilles):

Passenger side. 2 wire harness coming directly from the pretensioner. No electronics on the buckle at all.

Drivers side. Same pretensioner harness, and another 2 wire harness to the buckle. For all I know the buckle harness for the seatbelt warning light may run through the "airbag module" under the passenger seat (can't remember it's name ATM), but the codes that trigger the common airbag messages are pretensioner or side airbag deployment loop codes. That should be completely unrelated to the switch in the drivers side buckle.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my air bag code has returned and Sub's black magic didn't fix it this time. Can the yellow connectors be cleaned with aerosol electronic cleaner spray? If that doesn't fix it, is the seatbelt pretensioner/buckle a DIY thing or should I go to a mechanic? If DIY, can it be done without removing the seat? Where should I go for the part?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Yeah, disconnect the yellow connector and give it a good cleaning.

The connector is attached to the bottom of the seat. It might be worth detaching it and moving the wired around a bit.

The side air bag can be unbolted with the seat all the way forward, but the wiring is zip tied to the seat/other wires in a couple of places. You're better off removing it. The pretensioner can only be removed with the seat out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts