Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '04 3.6L and have been putting off the airbag censor recall work (busy schedule, not in town, etc.), Low and behold I get a reminder from Caddy in the mail. Has anyone had this work done? I heard they have to take out the center arm rest console to switch out the censor. Anybody had a problem with the work? Does it take long?

Would love to know since I need it done. Thanks in advance.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The job takes about half an hour. Of course this is actual work time and doesn't inlcude the time it takes them to actually get the car in the bay for service.

Technically it's not a "sensor" but the actual control module, what we call the SDM.
On a CTS it's pretty easy, you just remove the bolts from the rear of the console and lift it up, unbolt the module and unplug it, install the new one, bolt the console back down and reconfigure the system to accept the new module.

We do dozens of them daily it seems like.
I'd say if your dealer is not busy and you make an appointment, you should be out in an hour or so, but don't hold me to that! There are lots of variables that can burn up time and it depends on how busy they are.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ewill3rd! You sound very knowledgeable regarding the procedure. Sounds simple enough. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

This will be the second recall on the CTS for me (first was the reprogramming of the ECM a while back), any other recalls on the horizon?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I don't pay too much attention to upcoming recalls.
I just know how to do the ones that are out.
The big ones on CTS are the ECM reprogramming and the SDM recall.
If you give me the last 8 digits of the VIN I can see if any others are open.

I have my helper do most of these, I don't mind doing them but I am usually busy working on radios, XM or OnStar problems which he is not ready for yet.
Plus it's easy to do and doesn't take long and he does a good job.
I am trying to show him how much easier it is to work inside the car than it is to work underneath. ;)

CTS has been a decent car so far, even better with the 3.6 liter.
A lot of folks get worked up about recalls, but usually they are pretty harmless and save you from a one in a hundred thousand problem.

The only other recall I can think of on CTS is the lower control arm nut recall, which is even more harmless. It may not even apply to your car.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Technically the drivers bag (as shown in previous illustration) AND/OR the side impact airbag COULD deploy. (even though that photo is a Ford, at least I think it is)

I have never seen it happen, never worked on one that had it happen, and other than stuff made up on the internet, or twisted in the media, I have never actually heard of a documented case.
I am however sure that it's happened at least once.

I do recommend that you get it done as soon as possible though.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
ewill3rd said:
Technically the drivers bag (as shown in previous illustration) AND/OR the side impact airbag COULD deploy. (even though that photo is a Ford, at least I think it is)

I have never seen it happen, never worked on one that had it happen, and other than stuff made up on the internet, or twisted in the media, I have never actually heard of a documented case.
I am however sure that it's happened at least once.

I do recommend that you get it done as soon as possible though.
I guess it happened enough that GM issued the recall. They hate doing recalls. My pic was a bit of tongue n cheek humor. What a day for a wake up call at 6:00am leaving for work.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again ErWill3rd!

Hey, since I have you, another question if you don't mind. When I took possession of my '04 3.6L, the alignment was off. The Service Dept. did a great job fixing this. The car runs straight as an arrow without pulling. My question is that a few months later I noticed feathering of the tread on both front Goodyears on the outside edges. When I see other CTSs out and about, I have looked at their front Goodyears and have seen the same thing (some of them severe since it appears they don't rotate the tires often enough). Is this normal for the CTS or an alignment issue?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Usually the NHTSA forces GM, and other carmakers to do recalls.
I wasn't trying to be mean back, just being smart alec. Sorry if I came accross wrong.

If it happens on one car and has the potential to happen again they should fix it, but in their defense usually the problem lies with the supplier that built the parts. GM outsources almost all it's parts and then assembles them at the plants.
Yes it would be a rude awakening to turn the key and have airbags blowing all around you.

I am not really a front end guru. We have a guy that does all the alignments.
I'd say tire wear problem is not uncommon on CTS, I have seen a lot of them. Tire rotation and proper alignment are the key. If you think you have a tire wear problem you should take it up with the dealership, especially if it hasn't been that long. I'll mention it to my alignment guy if I think of it and see what he has to say. I think the factory camber setting is a little weird but maybe not. I think they usually wear worse on the inside edges so maybe they just have one of the settings off by just a touch.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:bouncy:

Thanks ewill3rd! Took the CTS in this morning for the premature airbag deployment recall and all went as you said. Took about the same amount of time you said as well. Looks like all is well, but had another question. Service Tech recommended a brake fluid flush. It has been just over 2 years and 26, 700 miles since new (never been done) so I authorized. Was the fluid change premature, or right for the CTS. I flushed the brake fluid of previous cars I have owned every other year (especially if they had anti-lock brake systems). Am I ok having done this now?:confused:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Brake fluid flushes are a good idea, it doesn't really matter when you do it.
I must confess I have rarely ever done it on a car I have owned.
Now that you mention it, I might do it on all of them.
I am not sure what a GM recommended interval is.

Glad to hear the campaign went okay.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Cadillac does not reccomend brake system flushes and makes no mention of the process in the service manual scheduling section. Any time you open up a sealed system you risk introducing foreign material that may be injurious. I would leave it alone. This is a concocted scheme to scam the owner. It is a beautiful theory. Too bad it's BS. I wouldn't be surprised if they got the idea from the Irish Travelers.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ouch!:thehand: Well rain on my parade, why don't you? I seem to recall the auto shop class I took in high school that stressed a good flush every once in a while to keep the master cylinder, piston and valves in good condition. Somehow I don't think that little plastic tank and cap can really kep out all the moisture. Oh well, if I'm wrong, it only cost me $130. But if I'm right, that was money well spent! :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts