Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have a 1985 Cadillac Seville where I had the mechanic change the air shocks two standard KYB rear shocks. Just put in a new computer so I don't want to burn it out. Disconnected the air pump BUT the dash blue light for pumping still constantly flickers. how do I turn it off? Thanks

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,026 Posts
The autolevel is designed to remain energized a few pounds to maintain just the last inch of speced riding ht. Unless some sort of helper coils on those shocks the rear will sag a touch so the camber will need adjusting.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,984 Posts
Hello everyone I have a 1985 Cadillac Seville where I had the mechanic change the air shocks two standard KYB rear shocks. Just put in a new computer so I don't want to burn it out. Disconnected the air pump BUT the dash blue light for pumping still constantly flickers. how do I turn it off? Thanks
==================
I had the mechanic change the air shocks two standard KYB rear shocks.
BIG - GIANT - HUGE - MISTAKE -
the entire suspension system was designed/built around the ELC - Electronic Level Control - system -
your car will NEVER be at the PROPER ride height -

the correct rear shocks would be the MONROE MA791 kit - around $70 - for the pair -
and IF the compressor - or other components of the ELC system no longer worked properly -
you could install the MONROE AK16 - manual-fill air line kit -

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,026 Posts
The least attractive feature of airshocks, any airshocks whether oem or aftermarket, is their dismal-to-absent actual valve dampening performance v. a set of legit quality gas charged regulars. A quite common hack on older live axle rears with ELC compressor that's gone kapoot is simply Airlift 1000 coil bladders with a Shrader valve. MUCH better dampening and no negatives on the alignment. Plus custom ht. when loaded or towing.

On a 1/3-century old regular production car as above it's getting to be a challenge rebuilding them ancient compressors. At anywhere near a sane cost. I believe a bunch of '80-90's GM platforms (even dustbuster minivans) used the same unit, but those are getting sparse in JYs. A couple decades back the exhaust solenoid went NLA, - the thing that causes the fulltime max pressure ass in the air when broke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
==================
I had the mechanic change the air shocks two standard KYB rear shocks.
BIG - GIANT - HUGE - MISTAKE -
the entire suspension system was designed/built around the ELC - Electronic Level Control - system -
your car will NEVER be at the PROPER ride height -

the correct rear shocks would be the MONROE MA791 kit - around $70 - for the pair -
and IF the compressor - or other components of the ELC system no longer worked properly -
you could install the MONROE AK16 - manual-fill air line kit -
Thanks for the information I may change back to air shocks. But right now the Cadillac is very level. The problem is without the pump plugged in electrically the dash blue light still blinks constantly. How do I turn it off do you know? Thanks

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,026 Posts
First tell us if you read, and tried, Post #2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First tell us if you read, and tried, Post #2.
I'm going today to have the mechanic remove the fuse. I would do it myself but this car is electrically complicated so I don't want mistakes. I'll let you know what happened. Stay safe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was interested in the Airlift and suggested them to One of the two mechanics I have , but he scoffed at it. Come to find out I don't think he knows much about these cars. Now I have a feeling both mechanics are raking me through the coals. Today with the freaking blinking light on my Dash there was a scratching sound from the light, the blue light, then I got nervous. Luckily I was parked at my office and then my battery was drained. The blinking light is connected to the computer for the leveling sensors. I just had a new computer put in and I'm hoping it did not burn out. You all are very helpful. Thank you

·
19,984 Posts
I was interested in the Airlift and suggested them to One of the two mechanics I have , but he scoffed at it. Come to find out I don't think he knows much about these cars. Now I have a feeling both mechanics are raking me through the coals. Today with the freaking blinking light on my Dash there was a scratching sound from the light, the blue light, then I got nervous. Luckily I was parked at my office and then my battery was drained. The blinking light is connected to the computer for the leveling sensors. I just had a new computer put in and I'm hoping it did not burn out. You all are very helpful. Thank you
========================
I was interested in the Airlift
AirLift is COMPLETELY different -
they are actual air bags that REPLACE the coil springs -

your 1985 Seville is NOT that "electrically complicated" -
look at the fuse box cover -
locate the ALC - Automatic Level Control - or ELC - Electronic Level Control - fuse and REMOVE it -

I can absolutely guarantee that you will NOT hurt a single thing by doing that -

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado ASC convertible, HT4100
1,100 Posts
Hey Cat, bummer. This sounds like a headache.
So your "LEVEL RIDE" indicator light started blinking and making a scratching noise? (You say it's blue, but my Level Ride light is green in the 85 Eldo.) And then your battery was dead?

Are you guessing the indicator light drained your battery while the car was off? I could be wrong, but I don't think the indicator lights draw power with key off. (I've even left my headlights on for a couple hours and the car still started.) You might have another drain going on though. Have you tested for parasitic drain?

I'm late here and the other guys who've posted above are way more knowledgeable than me. But I'm about to replace my rear air shocks, which are shot and leaking. Same system as the Seville. I just got the OEM ACDelcos delivered. I paid $85 for both from Amazon. Appears they're $57 now at RockAuto.

As I understand it, the ECM computers are tough and don't break often. Others can correct me, but I don't think your shock conversion can damage your ECM. I think the blinking of LEVEL RIDE, how long the light stays on, when it lights up, how long, etc. all provide info. I believe it's covered in the owner's manual... which I don't have handy.

Why did you decide to replace the air shocks with regular shocks?

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,972 Posts
Please people for the love of baby llamas everywhere, PLEASE STOP CALLING THEM AIR SHOCKS!

·
19,984 Posts
Please people for the love of baby llamas everywhere, PLEASE STOP CALLING THEM AIR SHOCKS!
=====================
I don't mind calling them AIR SHOCKS -
as long as people understand they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with AIR SUSPENSION -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts