Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had my compressor replaced, it comes on when you start the car like its supposed to however it doesnt come on if I load up car with weight in the back to level car.
Any ideas why the computer isnt commanding it on ?
I'm not getting any fault codes.
2008 sts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
It's NOT "air ride" - it's ELC - Electronic Level Control.

Disconnected height sensor?

Probably not yours, but here's one on my 2002 Seville Touring Sedan. LR fenderwell - see the link rod?

LR height sensor.jog.JPG

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
Yep - should throw one or more C (Chassis) codes.

Get the car up on a lift, Key: ON, wheel off, and manually (disconnect) operate a height sensor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep - should throw one or more C (Chassis) codes.

Get the car up on a lift, Key: ON, wheel off, and manually (disconnect) operate a height sensor.
Strange thing is , the compressor stopped working 2 weeks ago and the car never shot out a code

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
The car will not show a message for faults not associated with emissions engine faults - codes. You have to manually scan for codes.

You MIGHT see a service suspension or service something in the message area - MIGHT.

Good idea to either buy a good scanner or have it scanned twice a year at a parts store.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car will not show a code for most faults not associated with emissions - engine faults - P codes.

You MIGHT see a service suspension or service something in the message area - MIGHT.

Good idea to either buy a good scanner or have it scanned twice a year at a parts store.
One of my front rods broke before hitting a major pot hole, and it showed up on screen , service suspension.
I'm trying to get that sensor rod off to test like you said and have applied slot of pressure trying , just afraid of breaking the end,
Any tips on removing?

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
Some simply fall off for no reason. others are an unholy bitch. Should just pop off - it's a ball socket sort of like the ones on hood and hatch gas struts.

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
If the height sensor is good it will show the correct variable resistance (voltage when energized) but the wiring/connector can be at fault also.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ok,
What actually happened was , I was at dealership for oil change, and guy mentioned car was low in the ass , I had them check it, (the compressor was coming on and would if I sat in trunk).
The mechanic commanded it on and the car jacked up big time, he said everything was fine, the next day, I noticed that if I put weight in trunk it would no longer come on, (still did on initial start up) went back and they checked again , and they said levelers are fine, we think your compressor is shot.
The compressor was 14 months old and a genuine OEM part..
I have now replaced it and still having same issues, and all they keep saying is that's the trim height, and the sensors are reading the right voltage parameter, yet when I put 3 ppl in the trunk and measure the height, it drops 3+ inches, but compressor does come on to raise it.
Tired of replacing parts with no success

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
If the compressor comes on and does its preload at Key: ON then it's not shot. If you can get past the preload sequence and then have no action as loads are placed in the car you have rear height sensor problems. Sensor(s), wiring, data signals, whatever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the compressor comes on and does its preload at Key: ON then it's not shot. If you can get past the preload sequence and then have no action as loads are placed in the car you have rear height sensor problems. Sensor(s), wiring, data signals, whatever.
Oh ok , thanks for all your input I really appreciate it , can 1 sensor be bad and interfere with the other?

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
448 Posts
Could also have a leaking shock or air line. Does the back end go up any at all when you do the key on? Do you hear the pump when the 3 guys get in the trunk? A TechII can command the pump on and the exhaust on. It can also look at the individual voltages for the 4 sensors to see if they change when 3 guys load. Of course if the compressor does not run at all = forget the shock and air line for now. Good Luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, and the bags are hard..
But it wouldn't matter if I had a leak, the compressor would just keep coming on to bring car to ride height, no?

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
448 Posts
Or run continuously depending on the size of the leak.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My problem is , it wont come on after initial car start, no matter how much weight I put in the rear.
But no codes, seems like car doesn't know its low

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took car in again , they test all the lines and shocks , and said theres no leaks, however every morning after car sat for the night, the bags are empty, the mechanic says that's normal, is this true?
Then I start car and bags start filling back up but compressor then stops , have to turn car off and restart to get compressor to come back on finish filling the bags..

·
Administrator
69,886 Posts
My 2002 STS is a garage queen - been sitting in the garage for over 3 weeks, rear is still at normal height. ELC compressor (Electronic Level Control) (NOT "air ride") does a preload/proveout several seconds after Key: ON. Only time mine runs after that is if I add weight in the trunk or rear seat and when that's removed the system bleeds off the shock bags to again level the car.

If yours bleeds down overnight you have a leak somewhere. Soapy water in a spray bottle, spray everywhere - bubbles = air leak.

We've already covered the height sensor - but I still smell problems with it/them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts