Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 2002 escalade i think my air ride compressor is shot because I never hear it come on anymore. Not to mention whenever I go up steep hills my 24" wheels rub the rear fenders really bad. I had a set of 24's before and they had bigger tires and they barly rubbed in the back. Just wondering what you guys think the deal is?

thanks

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
hey guys i have a 2002 escalade i think my air ride compressor is shot because I never hear it come on anymore. Not to mention whenever I go up steep hills my 24" wheels rub the rear fenders really bad. I had a set of 24's before and they had bigger tires and they barly rubbed in the back. Just wondering what you guys think the deal is?

thanks
Are you getting a Service Ride Control or similar message? Not sure if the '02s have that.

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No message at all I remember hearing the sound when I first got the truck, but now its not really doing anything. My escalade is riding on zenik mazzoti z12 rims with 295/35/r24 so i was thinking that there shouldn't be a rubbing issue at all because of the smaller tires. So i started thinking that that rid control compressor might be messed up,

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
No message at all I remember hearing the sound when I first got the truck, but now its not really doing anything. My escalade is riding on zenik mazzoti z12 rims with 295/35/r24 so i was thinking that there shouldn't be a rubbing issue at all because of the smaller tires. So i started thinking that that rid control compressor might be messed up,
You definitely should hear the compressor when you switch the truck to the "ON" position but BEFORE starting it. If you don't it is probably shot. Fortunately, the compressor on these is supposedly a very easy DIY project.

·
Registered
Cadillac Brougham 1990 RWD
42 Posts
have the same problem whit my, and it was changed a year ago .. is there some easy way to fix them ??
somone have a guide whit normal problems on them.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Any garage with something like Alldata will print the repair pages out for you. Total cost: dozen tacos or a large pizza. Works for me.

These pumps are very expensive. Check fuses first; also broken air lines; also adjusting screw on system.

·
Registered
02 Escalade
298 Posts
2 or 3 bolts behind the drivers rear tire. unplug a wire harness and 1 or 2 air lines. Easy swap!!
Look at the new one when u get it, itll make sense.

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
I am having the same problem my compressor quit and I got the system message. If I take the compressor out will the truck drop and sag in the rear? I found a place to rebuild it but I dont want to take it out yet if that is the case thanks.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
You can find most of the answer to the air ride control issues here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/142916-answer-1million-question-where-air-ride.html

As for removing the assembly for service, if you cap the output line to the shocks its basically the same as a non-working unit? U can just take the outlet air tube out of the compressor and cap it then go for a test drive. If nothing changes then ur go to go! I've heard great comments on the arnott replacement unit. Quieter and they are a site sponsor!

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Thanks for the replys I have looked at the arnott but I read others having probs hooking it up since it doesnt have a plug you have to splice wires.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
Really? Tho it was direct replacement. I know you need to splice into the oem harness for the solenoid activated shocks if you replace them with bilsteins.

·
Registered
2002 escalade
2 Posts
I have a compressor that if I put 12v it work but when i plug in it does not work ,I replace the relay fuse and i do get power to the plug but compressor wont work,Does it has to have weight for the compressor to work.There is a fuse 40amp that it say (AIR) but is empty,but still the compressor has 12v to the plug,Maybe the pressure switch?? or if any one have an idea to share .Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
82 Posts
Check it out......www.arnottindustries.com
They make brand new compressors for all 2002 through 2006 Escalades for $179.00 plus shipping.
I bought mines a couple of weeks ago on ebay thru arnott which was cheapear because it's $179 with free shipping, combine that with 8% microsoft cashback and its even cheaper! I did all 4 of my shocks the same way

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
82 Posts
Thanks for the replys I have looked at the arnott but I read others having probs hooking it up since it doesnt have a plug you have to splice wires.
you have to splice but its mad easy because the wires are all the same color, just match and crimp, i had absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Ok thanks for the infomation that gives me a little peace of mind buying I will get one and tackle this project.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
72 Posts
I installed a new Arnott air compressor last weekend in less than one hour. You have to splice the wiring together, but like already mentioned, the compressor comes with butt splices and it is a simple job to match the colors and crimp the splices.
I still have the "Service Ride Control" message on my message center (mine is a 2002).
The dealership told me that the relay on my 2002 is no longer available, and has been superceded by a new one with 5 contacts instead of 4, so another harness (with 5 wires) must be spliced into the wiring harness to make the new relay funtional. The new relay and harness in stock, but go for about $100.00 and they won't even give you a clue as to how to or where to splice the 5th wire in. I can make my new compressor run by jumping pin 30 to pin 87 on the harness plug with the relay removed, so I know the new compressor is good.

·
Registered
2004 escalade esv
1 Posts
I'm having the same. However the little blue ground wire will make it work. I am thinking that what ever gives the signal to ground is not working.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
Ground trigger at the blue wire comes from the SCM, if the 5V ref voltage from the solenoid exhaust valve checks out (valve open).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts