Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CADILLAC DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air ride compressor hasn't came on for a while, like months...at least i don't think i heard it...My car was sitting just a little low but not very noticeable..so it wasn't a problem ....the other day i had a couple people in the back and when they exited the car i noticed that one side of the car had gotten very low, i checked all fuses, nothing bad, i did receive C0662 - Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit Low...i removed the compressor and had a hot wire ran to it and the pump came on, i connected it back and there is power from on both ends of the quick connect(the side of the pump and the side from the wires to the pump.
does any one have any ideas what could be the problem....thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,500 Posts
Lift the rear and remove the wheels. Check to make sure the height sensor rods are connected. Once in a while one will pop off the ball joint and that will prevent the system from seeing "Level me now !".

C0662 sounds more like an exhaust valve/control head fault.

If you hot wire the compressor and it runs, does the rear end lift ? If not, then you have leaks in either the air lines or the shock bladders.

·
Registered
2000 CADILLAC DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, maybe that was the wrong code.....when the hot wire was done , it was on the pump already taken off......all rods are connected...

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
check the fuse

·
Registered
2000 CADILLAC DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the ground and its not that either, this may be a simple question but i have to ask...are the air shock supposed to be locked up , for instance...i jacked the car up to remove the wheel, and the wheel is still tucked under the fender, as it was when the car was on the ground, i hops im explaining this right....maybe i have more than one problem? maybe the shock has seized up also? Please any suggestions or help would be appreciated...

·
Administrator
73,500 Posts
If you jacked up the rear using the hard pad just in front of the wheel well the shock(s) should have extended, lowering the wheel and suspension arm.

If you jacked it up from under the lower control arm then, no, the shock would not extend.

How cold was the temp when you jacked up the car - if you worked outside ? IF, and this is a long shot, the level control system filter/dryer is packed with moisture it's possible that the shock bladders are frozen. Water - (moisture from compression) - is what usually ruins this system.

·
Registered
2000 CADILLAC DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply...I live in Texas and I was working in a garage..
The car was jacked up from the hard pad, and i removed the compressor and the filter kind of sounds like its packed with sand or something....when i shake it i hear something like a small amount of sand on the inside. So you think Shocks? filter? or the entire system?

·
Registered
98 Deville
35 Posts
How can I check for air leaks on the struts? I keep ruining air ride compressors and I noticed the compressor works too long until it stops and after 5-10 min (car is not moving) it kick in again.

·
Administrator
73,500 Posts
The rear shocks have air bladders and attached air lines which lead over to the compressor assembly. A leak anywhere in that system will cause the compressor to run. The leak - and you have one - may be as simple as an air line becoming detached from a shock bladder. If it's a bad bladder the entire shock must be replaced. Talk to Chris up ^^^ in Vendors: RippyParts.

Get the car up on a lift, turn the key ON, and mist the entire system with soapy water from a spray bottle. Bubbles = leak.

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
I just got a 2003 deville base and notcied the elc doesn't self test or kick in when weight is added to rear seats. Checked and saw the fuse was blown, however I also noticed the sensor had nothing connected to the ball joint on the end. I also didn't notice anything near it to connect to it anyone have a picture of it so I know what to look for.

·
Administrator
73,500 Posts
The sensors (ride height sensors) are connected to the suspension arms by balljoint rods.

Some models use a combined suspension height/rear height sensor, some use separate rear height sensors.

If you have any warning lights or suspension diagnostic codes, that's your problem. Something is missing, broken, frozen or removed to "fool" a sensor output. Or, worse, the OEM level-ride shocks have been replaced by cheaper passive units.

Not that your car is a subject, but jury-rigging these cars to mask an expensive fault is all too common in the used car business. If you got a deal that was too good to be true, this is only the tip of the iceberg, and you are by no means alone in these Forums.

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
Checked a bit further and found the connector rod is missing so hopefully I can find one and that will do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts