Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a TEMPORARY solution to plug the exhaust ports, I used the original plugs and pennies. Everything was fine until I took the car to an interstate. At 76 MPH, a loud duh-duh-duh scared $%^^ out of me. Stopped, opened the hood and the first thing I saw was a bright metallic spot on the lining of the hood. See the picture. The penny on the driver side port almost completely melted! See the picture. The passenger side was fine. Had some change in my pocket, so I replaced the melted penny with a new one. In five minutes that was gone too! Pennies are made of ZINC and covered with copper. Put in a dime this time hoping copper's melting point is much higher than zinc. I was skeptical of zinc penny, but it fitted better than a nickel-plated copper dime, so I used pennies. The dime worked! Now the passenger side penny is still fine. Hmmmm,,, is exhaust on the driver side hotter than on the passenger one??? That's the only thing I can think of.
Okay, zinc melts at 419.5 C, copper - at 1,085 C. Big difference.

Well. that's the beauty of a temporary solution. It may become permanent or will screw something up. I am wondering if some exhaust valves could be affected with all this disaster. Got an oil drain plug, the store had only one. See the picture. It did not seal against the inner flange, probably the tread is tampered. I will order another plug from NAPA later.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 FWB
752 Posts
For anyone happening upon this, it's important to note the thread pitch and size and type of manifold plug after an AIR Delete Mod is different between different years of the LT1. Most prudent is to determine exactly which is applicable (easily searchable on here) and procure them before the mod is undertaken. I've heard of coins used as plugs for disconnected tubes, hoses and such but as the OP notes RE: heated applications "not so much".

·
Registered
96 FWB
752 Posts
Reactions: LV_Cady
1 - 5 of 5 Posts