Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone!

I have a quick question for you all. I have a 73' Coupe DeVille. Lately when I start the car I get a belt squeak immediately when the car fires up. I have narrowed it down the the air pump belt; It has WAY to much play. My question is how many bolts prevent the air pump from moving? I know there is an slider adjustment bolt on the back of pump bracket, but are there any more. Obviously, when I get this bolt lose I still can't budge the pump. Any info you all could give me would be great!

Here is a shot of my car.... 50,235 miles. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Usually there are two bolts at a minimum holding anything on. The sliding bolt you have found and the pivot point bolt. Find the point where the pump mounts to the motor and loosen it up slightly. Just enough to where you can move the pump.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,605 Posts
If your air pump belt is slipping than that means your alternator is not charging well..the belt that turns the air pump turns the water pump than a belt from the water pump turns the alt. so if your battery seems weak , don't buy a new one , just fix that belt...

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,215 Posts
Someone here must know. All I remember is that it isn't just 2 points to loosen. There is probably one slightly under the pulley, 1 in the back and the pivot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I have noticed that the "GEN" light comes on when I first start it lately. It now makes sense why it is doing that. I'm going to jack it back up tonight and see if I can find that other bolt. Seriously, it can't be this difficult right?? lol! :thepan:

·
Registered
1969 Coupe DeVille, 1972 Sedan DeVille
159 Posts
If yours is like mine, there are two bolts, one upper and one lower. The upper is the adjustment and the lower is the pivot bolt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! Thanks Brother! I would assume I will have to move the alternator to get to it. I will take a look when I get home.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry, I may have that backwards. I think the lower one is the adjustment and the upper is the pivot. Also, I think the lower one is inserted from the back. Here's the instructions from my '69 shop manual. It doesn't say anything about needing to remove alternator. (1) Raise front of car (2) Remove right hand acromat (3) Loosen AIR pump pivot bolt (4) Place belt tension gage on drive belt midway between pullets at location C in Figure 6.6 (That's between the AIR pump and crankshaft pulleys.) (5) Loosen AIR pump adjuster link screw below pump and pivot screw above pump (6) Move AIR pump as required until correct tension is is obtained on gage (55 - 70 ft-lbs used belt, 100 ft-lbs new belt). NOTE: Pry as close to rear of pump cover as possible, near dowel pin. (7) Tighten adjuster link screw (8) Tighten pivot screw and remove belt tension gage (9) Replace acromat and lower car.

I don't know what an acromat is...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I may have that backwards. I think the lower one is the adjustment and the upper is the pivot. Also, I think the lower one is inserted from the back. Here's the instructions from my '69 shop manual. It doesn't say anything about needing to remove alternator. (1) Raise front of car (2) Remove right hand acromat (3) Loosen AIR pump pivot bolt (4) Place belt tension gage on drive belt midway between pullets at location C in Figure 6.6 (That's between the AIR pump and crankshaft pulleys.) (5) Loosen AIR pump adjuster link screw below pump and pivot screw above pump (6) Move AIR pump as required until correct tension is is obtained on gage (55 - 70 ft-lbs used belt, 100 ft-lbs new belt). NOTE: Pry as close to rear of pump cover as possible, near dowel pin. (7) Tighten adjuster link screw (8) Tighten pivot screw and remove belt tension gage (9) Replace acromat and lower car.

I don't know what an acromat is...
(10) Remove plastic strip off top of bottle of Jack Daniel's. (11) Drink bottle until contents are completely emptied :alchi: (12) Complain to your wife that the car is driving to you drink. (13) Tell wife to shut her mouf :rant2: (14) Kick dog (15) Vomit (16) Pass out

·
Registered
159 Posts
(17) Wake up saying "acromat?!" Seriously what's an acromat? Says it right in the shop manual?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts