Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
none yet
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently picked up a 2006 STS 1SG with 55k on it. After driving it for a few weeks, I noticed a hissing sound coming the the drivers side rear wheel area. Yesterday I put the car up on the lift and sprayed the shock with soapy water looking for bubbles. Im guessing the car somehow knew it was lifted and the air compressor never kicked on... When lowering the car the air compressor came on and what do you know, bubbles! Coming from the up by the top mounting plate on the shock.

My question is, what are the ill effects of disconnecting the air compressor? How do I go about disabbling the compressor and air leveling? This would only be for a short period of time until I get the new shocks.

Does anyone have the ac delco or GM part numbers for the rear magnaride shocks?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
There is probably a fuse for the compressor... I can't see of any ill effects of disabling it to prevent it from being burned out until you swap the rear shocks.
But when you lifted the car was it running? how long was it lifted? (it can take about 30 seconds for the air leveling system to kick in after a level change)
Also when the wheels are hanging down while on a lift the ride height as determined by the car will be so high it would never turn on the compressor...

Regarding replacement ...
GM Book labor time on one rear shock is 0.7 hours, for both it is an even 1.0 hours ... so don't let them charge you more.
Also, no need for an alignment afterwards either as the replacement of this part shouldn't cause the alignment to be adjusted.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Ludacrisvp said:
There is probably a fuse for the compressor... I can't see of any ill effects of disabling it to prevent it from being burned out until you swap the rear shocks. But when you lifted the car was it running? how long was it lifted? (it can take about 30 seconds for the air leveling system to kick in after a level change) Also when the wheels are hanging down while on a lift the ride height as determined by the car will be so high it would never turn on the compressor... Regarding replacement ... GM Book labor time on one rear shock is 0.7 hours, for both it is an even 1.0 hours ... so don't let them charge you more. Also, no need for an alignment afterwards either as the replacement of this part shouldn't cause the alignment to be adjusted.
A monkey with a basic socket set can swap the shock. The only advantage to letting the dealer swap it is that it will be covered for a lifetime from there on in under GM good wrench lifetime replacement policy.

·
Registered
none yet
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I will be changing the shocks myself. A friend of a friend can get me GM parts at cost...

Just curious of ill effects from driving with the compressor unplugged for a few days.

also the gm or delco part numbers

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 Sport V8 Magride, 2015 Escalade ESV Platinum (sh!t box)
303 Posts
No ill effects.
Just don't drive around with a significant load in the back, or your HID low beams will be blinding everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts