Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM,
I was having some work done on my STS, and my mechanic pointed out that I had a tear in the intake duct hose, the hose that attaches the air filter box to the throttle body. He said that this would be a specialized part better suited for a dealer than an over the counter parts store. My question is what does this part look like so I can hunt down a replacement?

Since he said there was a tear, is it safe to say that this piece is rubber, Or possibly some sort of plastic? I've attached two pics on what I think it may be, but I'm not too sure..

And second, what if I just went ahead and replaced the stock air filter setup with one of those aftermarket air intake kits that increase mileage as well as performance?

Thanks,
Serge

Attachments

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,326 Posts
Forget the so-called "cold air intake". Our engines already have one that supplies far more air than the engine can handle at wide open throttle redline shifts. DO NOT believe the advertising hype of "better performance".

Get to a junkyard and find a flex duct for your year engine/car.

Open the hood and look at what the mechanic pointed out. Your 1998 MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) is bolted to the throttlebody so a leaky intake duct should not cause any performance problems or fuel/air mixture trouble.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sub,
He's closed at the moment, and I should've asked him to show me. I'm trying to be
proactive and orderived the part now, so I can have it installed later this week.

The reason he even told me about it, was I asked him to replace the air filter. When he was doing this task, is when he encountered the issue.. I'm going to assume that it's probably duct 1 since I'm pretty sure you can't this over the counter at AZ?

Thanks,
Serge

1 - 3 of 3 Posts