Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2019 XT4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2019 a little over a week. One of the first things I did was replace the air filter with a K&N since OnStar was telling me old one had 5% life left. In the owners manual it says to just loosen 6 screws and the air box cover comes off. However, the way the air box is mounted in the engine bay, two of the screws are inaccessible! To replace the filter, you have to take the airbox out which I saw how to do on a YouTube video for an XT5. Was able to do it with a little struggle.

My question is whether there was some kind of assembly error when the car was built and the engine was somehow not installed correctly thus blocking access to the screws?

· Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,520 Posts
Welcome to Cadillac Forum!

I can't answer your question, but can say the OEM filter is good and I would never change it out for a K&N one as I'm not a fan of oiled filters - too many reported negative issues they can cause. The OEM filter allows in the right amount of air to keep the car running good, without the mess of oil...my 2 cents worth on it.

· Registered
66 Posts
I've had my 2019 a little over a week. One of the first things I did was replace the air filter with a K&N since OnStar was telling me old one had 5% life left. In the owners manual it says to just loosen 6 screws and the air box cover comes off. However, the way the air box is mounted in the engine bay, two of the screws are inaccessible! To replace the filter, you have to take the airbox out which I saw how to do on a YouTube video for an XT5. Was able to do it with a little struggle.

My question is whether there was some kind of assembly error when the car was built and the engine was somehow not installed correctly thus blocking access to the screws?
I changed my air filter and it was a pain to do, so i dont think it was an assembly error but more as an engineering design flaw.

· Registered
172 Posts
I just had the ' Air filter' message come up. I looked in owners manual - and the display message does not jive with what is written in owners manual.
"Messages will display based on the engine air filter life and the state of the system. When the REPLACE AT NEXT OIL CHANGE message displays, the engine air filter should be replaced at the time of the next oil change. When the REPLACE NOW message displays, the engine air filter should be replaced as soon as possible. The Air Filter Life display must be reset after the engine air filter replacement. To reset, see Engine Air Filter Life System 0 257".
Video:

· Registered
172 Posts
I wonder what the 'algorithm' is based on when the 'Change Air Filter' message comes up? If it is based on 'reduced flow measured by MAF'- I also see it could initiate a 'Check Engine' light. (Just stop into an AutoZone or other parts store to see what code is).

· Registered
96 FWB
4,587 Posts

I'm certain no one wants the thread to morph into a 'Best Air Cleaner Evar' war. I just comment for anyone passing by here in the future that they do a little poking around the numerous measured tests including both oem aftermarket along with the advertised 'high-efficiency' and otherwise self-identified high performance filters. What consistently gets measured with the K&N type and similar is --> slightly <-- greater cfm flow when new, but at the expense of greater micron size filter media and the associated measured increased airborne contaminants ingested into the engine. I've heard rumors some makers as K&N or Spectra may have come out with non-oil designs. But at least those using the oil have been measured to load up earlier than later with debris, and their initial 'freer flow' is soon replaced by reduced efficiency than one of the better quality brands of regular oem element filter of the same age.

Plus, as mentioned, the 'oil film on the MAF sensor messing up stuff' is an actual thing.

· Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,520 Posts

In this video from a member of CF he says five screws to remove the airbox cover and all being accessible. Video starts at about 5:25 (replacing cabin filter precedes the airbox).

· Registered
'19 XT4, '13 CTS-V coupe
103 Posts
Plus, as mentioned, the 'oil film on the MAF sensor messing up stuff' is an actual thing.
Not if you follow the K&N's cleaning/oiling instructions which say lightly spray with oil after the filter has dried. "Lightly" to some is "if a little is ok, then saturating the filter with oil must be better!" Anyway, I've used K&N filters for decades and have never had any MAF issues nor any other engine issues because I used minimal oil as directed. And like motor oil, there is no best air filter.

· Registered
2019 XT4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In this video from a member of CF he says five screws to remove the airbox cover and all being accessible. Video starts at about 5:25 (replacing cabin filter precedes the airbox).

There is a strip of plastic attached to the inner fender that blocks access to some of the screws. It looks like the strip can be removed and then reattached, but it was easier to just remove the whole air box.

· Registered
5 Posts

I always order parts on Rockauto.com they have a lot of brands and they have acdelco original parts for our xt4 for less then the dealer and its delivery at your door Better order like 2 cabin filters 2 air filter to save on shipping cost Rockauto guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts