Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some advice. i am close to buying a 92 sts but the owner says that late last summer the air stopped working. i think i remember reading that this may be a common/expensive problem. i was wondering if there is anyway to see if this is usually a recharging or replacing thing. what typically goes wrong, is it something i can do on my own? are there any other common problems for the car. it is low miles, under 90k.

thanks eric

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Hey Eric,
Check to see whether there is any refrig. left in the system or not by pressing the schrader valve (looks like a tire valve). If there is at least SOME pressure in the system, chances are the repair may not be TOO bad. If there is no pressure in the system, count on it being at least semi-expensive since at that point, the system has gotten at least some moisture in it and that is a bad thing.

·
Registered
520 Posts
ekvisto said:
looking for some advice. i am close to buying a 92 sts but the owner says that late last summer the air stopped working. i think i remember reading that this may be a common/expensive problem. i was wondering if there is anyway to see if this is usually a recharging or replacing thing. what typically goes wrong, is it something i can do on my own? are there any other common problems for the car. it is low miles, under 90k.

thanks eric
I have a 92 Eldo and I assume the components are the same. When I turn on my air I get the very low ref. message. So, it won't come on. I got an estimate on my problem and it might give you an idea of what it might run for you.
My trouble is an evaporator core leak. A cheapo autozone replacement is about $230. The accumulator\dryer is around $80. I took it to a reputable local A\C shop and parts, labor, and recharge is $640 plus tax. That's in Tampa.
Being a tightwad, I went on Ebay and got a brand new, in the box, AC Delco evaporator for $100 shipping included. So I saved $130 on that one. I have a bid in for an accumulator, please don't bid against me ! That should save me some too.
My plan is to look over the winter while it's cooler, and pick up a compressor too. And by saving on my parts I'll get everything plus the compressor installed for about the same $650.
The only drawback with the Ebay parts is no warranty. But they're all quality parts, and new.
Any way, I would expect your price to run about the same for the same parts.
Hope that helps.
Bob

·
Registered
2006 STS V
80 Posts
Eric,
I have a 1992 STS and it had low refrig message when I bought it about 6 months ago. I had to put in a new compressor and accumulator and recharge with R134a. It was about $900. You should expect to spend that much. If it is less, then you are better off.

I ap up to 145k miles now.

ekvisto said:

thanks eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts