Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew how to disable the delay mechanism on my automatic climate control. I believe it's a 2 part setup, a thermostat on the heater valve and a restrictor tube (orfice tube). I never did understand why further delay was needed after the coolant was hot enough to trip the thermostat, so does anyone know where the orfice tube is located? The big problem is that it affects the air conditioning. Driving around in a boiling car for 10-15 mins before it decides to turn on the A/C is not fun.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The "delay" mechanism is just a simple thrmostatic switch built into the heater valve as I recall. And that has nothing to do with whether you can get A/C immediately upon request. If you select A/C and it doesn't come on, there's a problem.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Yeah, even on the hottest days here in New York - and it DOES get very hot - my a/c comes on right away. It's so noticable that my girlfriend is a bit jealous! She drives a '99 Volkswagen Passat...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had found the switch and jumped it out, but it still was delayed, even for the heat side of things. Hmm.... maybe after the hurricane I'll check on the hoses. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to keep my car cover from turning into a Cadillac-sized kite :D

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found my Factory service manual, which served to confuse me more. In addition to the restrictor I suspected, theres also a Time Delay Relay which looks like it SHOULD be easy to find, but seems to be MIA. Here's the vacuum schematic for the Automatic Climate Control from the FSM. 7 on the control head is the vacuum source. (Yellow stripe)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Leloz