Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sportwagon
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2010 CTS Sportwagon and my air conditioner clutch is not engaging when I turn on the air
conditioner. I had a couple of friends diagnose it with me. The fuse and relay in the fuse box under
the hood are all functioning.

Are there any other fuses to look for or any other items I should check to help track the problem down?
Does anyone have any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
Do you mean compressor doesn't turn on?
In most cases it caused by refrigerant leakage.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 RWD LY7, FE2
55 Posts
yeah, typically the pressure in the system drops and the system won't turn on in order to protect the compressor.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,163 Posts
Once I top off the refrigerant then the compressor will come back on.
Is this a statement or a question? If a question, the answer is yes just as ksa8907 stated and kkuz alluded to.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,338 Posts
Is this a statement or a question? If a question, the answer is yes just as ksa8907 stated and kkuz alluded to.
Ah, I think the answer is maybe. I believe the system also prevents the compressor from engaging if the pressure is too high as well as too low. So when you "top off", be sure you do so with proper pressure.

Let me answer your next question....what is the proper pressure (no question mark in honor of the tinman)
Well, the proper pressure is indexed based on air temp. So make sure you take into consideration the temp when you do this.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
IF low refrigerant is the problem, there is a leak in the system that has to be found and repaired first otherwise it'll just happen again.

The compressor will have to be running to fill the system, this is done by clearing the codes.

The correct way to refill the system is to evacuate and fill by weight. If it's being filled by pressure, it needs to be done with an actual set of hi/low side gauges. The single gauge that comes on the can is essentially useless.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,163 Posts
IF low refrigerant is the problem, there is a leak in the system that has to be found and repaired first otherwise it'll just happen again.

The compressor will have to be running to fill the system, this is done by clearing the codes.

The correct way to refill the system is to evacuate and fill by weight. If it's being filled by pressure, it needs to be done with an actual set of hi/low side gauges. The single gauge that comes on the can is essentially useless.
Good advice, and if you DIY, don't use the "self sealing" gas. If you have to tear into your system later, the tech will absolutely hate you and charge you more. Unless you are selling your car...(still not recommended).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts