Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air conditioning compressor repeatedly turns off and on when I turn on my defrosters. I was told it was because I am totally out of freon. I never use my air conditioning and really don't want to go to the expense of finding and fixing the leak and getting it recharged. Is there anyway that I can just pull out the a/c compressor fuse without damaging any other part of the car?

·
...Reloaded
1,698 Posts
You probably can do that - I'm sure one of the technically oriented members will tell you how. But are you sure that's what you want to do? If the system never comes on, the parts will all become useless and should you ever want to get it working again it will be a *major* undertaking. And even if you don't need to use the AC when it's hot, as you've found out the car turns it on with the defrosters to keep the windshield from fogging. IMO it would be better to at least find out how much it would cost to get the system operational before disabling it totally.

BTW, Welcome to the CadillacForums Susan!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sandman's right. Get it fixed. The compressor cycling as you described indicates a low freon condition. If it was very low, or empty, the compressor would not come on at all. As it stands now, you could get away with just a "partial charge" which is basically "topping-off" the freon but if you let it get TOTALLY empty, then you will have a larger repair bill due to moisture getting into the system and causing corrosion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Katshot