Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 seville with the airbags deployed on the top dash and the steering wheel. I have a parts car with a good dash and steering wheel but it's a 2000. Do I have to replace the entire wheel or can I just replace the center piece? Do I have to replace the entire dash or can I just replace the bag inside the dash? Is it hard to replace them?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
You replace the wheel center, passenger airbag, and dash pad.

It's all pretty straight forward. The drivers bag is probably the most tedious part, just because of the way it's removed (installing it is very easy). The dash pad and whee center removal has been covered many times. A search should get you several how to's. Once the pad is off, I believe the passengers side airbag is held in with 4 bolts.

Make sure you disable the airbags before plugging the replacements in.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,268 Posts
Re: Air bags deployed in my 2001 seville sts

Thanks MC. I'll be trying to tackle this one this week.
=============================
REMOVE THE SIR FUSE under the back seat -

get one of these -
steering wheel airbag removal tool -
airbag tool.jpg
it will take less than 1 minute to remove the airbag -
you might be able to "rent" one for free - from autozone -
they sell the tool for $13 -

-------------------

for the dash airbag -

to remove the dash pad -

remove the "A" pillar trim pieces -
start at the top and pull out and down -

remove the 4 AC vents - yes - there is a trick to it -
there is one hidden screw behind each vent -

remove the 4 screws -

pull the dash pad towards you and up -
release the electrical plug -

------------------------

practice on the broken one - just in case -

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts

Whichever sensor that deployed the airbag may have to be replaced along with the airbag module.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
The electronics involved are not one time use just the bag assemblies themselves need replacement.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts

Was the car in an accident or is there a faulty circuit somewhere? Makes me nervous because my wife says she gets an intermittent "Airbags Need Service" indicator

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts

A 2000 uses a different steering wheel and air bag set up than the 2001. Doubt it will work, good luck.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
You have to find the correct style connector from your steering coil to air bag.

00 had the traditional emblem on the airbag, 01 and possibly later had the newer design emblem, yet the newer design emblem airbag on some models had the 00 style connector.....

Trust me I know....

----------

EcSTSatic,

You have an airbag fault some where and it will have to be determined where the fault is

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
EcSTSatic said:
Was the car in an accident or is there a faulty circuit somewhere? Makes me nervous because my wife says she gets an intermittent "Airbags Need Service" indicator
pull the codes. It's almost definitely going to be for a side impact bag or pretensioner. The issue is the connector under the seats (the yellow one). You can either move the seat all the way forward/backwards a few times, reach under and wiggle/gently tug them, or disconnect, clean, and reconnect them.

·
Registered
2001 STS
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all of the awesome feedback! The car was in an accident. I swapped out the front clip today but I'm struggling with that darn dash pad. I got it pretty much loose but seems to be latched or attached on the passenger side. I'll have to take a closer look at it tomorrow.

I also noticed earlier that the steering wheels are different. If the yard doesn't have one I might have to order off of eBay or something. Thanks for the tips and pictures. This is going to help a ton!

I'm also getting that P0410 code and both bank sensors. I believe that code has something to do with the secondary air pump something or another. I unhooked the large rubber hose from the air pump? on the back side of the engine and no difference. I unplugged several vacuum lines and the car still runs the same at idle. It has a crap ton of power while in drive but in park, it doesn't miss but the engine is "in and out" or like 600 rpm to 700rpm over and over. SOMETIMES it'll even out but very seldom.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Put your hand on top of the dash pad on the passengers side, about half way between the windshield and the edge nearest you. Push down firmly while pulling the pad toward you with the other hand.

As for the p0410, that just means that "something" is wrong with the A.I.R. system. It could be a number of things, but the first step would be to check weather or not the pump is running. The part over the rear can cover is one of the two check valves. The pump is in front of the front right tire. When you start the car cold, it should run for a little less than a minute. It should sound like a quiet vaccine or jet engine.

·
Registered
2001 STS
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks MC. Are they a pain to replace? I noticed on this 2000, it didn't have a pump. I don't know if they bypassed it or if it's simply not equipped.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
pull the codes. It's almost definitely going to be for a side impact bag or pretensioner. The issue is the connector under the seats (the yellow one). You can either move the seat all the way forward/backwards a few times, reach under and wiggle/gently tug them, or disconnect, clean, and reconnect them.
I have no codes. But i did have the drivers seat out to replace a motor last summer. I had to deactivate the SRS

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
EcSTSatic said:
I have no codes. But i did have the drivers seat out to replace a motor last summer. I had to deactivate the SRS
If you have the warning message, there are codes.

20grand, replacing the pump is fairly straightforward. The drivers side headlight has to be removed to run the new style intake hose. The pump is accessed by removing the lower air deflector between the bumper and cradle. One bolt is a bit hidden, but otherwise it's a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
There's a clip on the top left and bottom right of each vent. You need to insert a credit card in between the vent and wood trim in both locations at once. Then it will slide out very tricky the first time you do it.

·
Registered
2001 STS
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figured how to take out the vents. Easy peezy after the second one. BUT, pulling out the wire that connects to the bag seems puzzling. Any thoughts?

----------

Turned about 50 screws between the entire front clip, trunk lid etc. But this wire connected to the air bag has me a little stumped. I don't want to just yank on it...is there a trick to it? It almost seems glued on.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
I've actually never unplugged that one. Are there any parts of the connector that appear tethered to it? Sometimes there's a piece or two that have to be pulled out before it will disconnect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts