Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2005 deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous post I indicated my service air bag warning illuminated on my 2005 Deville. To make a long story short I was told by my mechanic that the parts needed to repair the system were no longer available. The local Cadillac dealer verified this. I still drive the car despite the warning, mostly by myself. The state inspection comes due next January and I suppose I will drive it til then as it is probably worth nothing more than salvage value. Perhaps a good deal on another vehicle will arise between now and then. While I still have your attention I'd like you to know that I was successful in repairing a dent in the front fender, just below the headlight. The dent was about two inches deep but I was able to access the dinged area by removing the bottom panel, then applying enough heat on the outside for me to be able to push out the dent from behind. My 91 year old body had just enough strength to get down and push out the dent and get back up. I am now in the process of applying primer, sanding and spray painting. It may not look the greatest but to have a shop do the work would have cost more than the car was worth.

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
619 Posts
sometimes the yellow airbag connectors under the seat get corroded, some folks here have had luck unplugging the connector and cleaning them with contact cleaner.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
774 Posts
On my 91 Toyota Celica, I disconnected the air bag module to pass inspection.

Try at your own risk.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,913 Posts
YUP - like Ranger said -
step #1 - ALWAYS - check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

here is a how-to video -

·
Registered
2005 deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, both the mechanic and I pulled the codes. It involved the passenger seat buckles. I had previously tried all the suggestions including cleaning the yellow connectors and yanking hard on the straps. I have one option left and that is to reason with the inspector and suggest that the air bag warning lite obviously came on after I left his station. We old codgers have no shame. BTW, on the 2005 Deville I don't think there is a way to eliminate both the verbal warning and the red lite warning on the dash.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,199 Posts
Did you buckle the seat belt into the pretensioner (buckle) assembly and forcibly yank the hell out of the buckle assembly itself ?

·
18,913 Posts
Yes, both the mechanic and I pulled the codes. It involved the passenger seat buckles. I had previously tried all the suggestions including cleaning the yellow connectors and yanking hard on the straps. I have one option left and that is to reason with the inspector and suggest that the air bag warning lite obviously came on after I left his station. We old codgers have no shame. BTW, on the 2005 Deville I don't think there is a way to eliminate both the verbal warning and the red lite warning on the dash.
===============================
Yes, both the mechanic and I pulled the codes. It involved the passenger seat buckles.
we LOVE to help - that's the reason we're here - BUT - we need you to help us help you -
when we ask about codes we EXPECT you to post the EXACT CODE - with the EXACT DEFINITION -
NOT It involved the passenger seat buckles.

·
Administrator
67,199 Posts
Yes. Would be nowhere near the first time.

Do the advised procedures and checks, and if that doesn't work, then start throwing parts at it.

I would appreciate feedback on the "yank the hell out of the buckle assembly" results. If it clears your diagnostic codes it would not be the first time that a little black magic worked.

·
18,913 Posts
Are you saying my mechanic may be wrong?
=======================
let's just say that WE have a LOT of experience with these cars -
and WE know a few tricks and tips very specific to these cars -
that are NOT in the FSM - Factory Service Manual - and MOST mechanics do NOT know about -

so - please list those specific codes along with their definitions and lets see what happens -

·
Registered
2005 deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you saying my mechanci
=======================
let's just say that WE have a LOT of experience with these cars -
and WE know a few tricks and tips very specific to these cars -
that are NOT in the FSM - Factory Service Manual - and MOST mechanics do NOT know about -

so - please list those specific codes along with their definitions and lets see what happens -

·
Registered
2005 deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your reasoned reply. I'll find a pro to pull those codes and get back to you.

·
Administrator
67,199 Posts
Feedback on Post #11?

You can get the same codes and the same definitions yourself - sitting in the driveway - and have them posted here in 15 minutes from right now.

Bookmark this - http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html - and use Post #5.

·
Registered
2005 deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Submarine, I did just that. There were two SDM codes displayed, B0058 and B0059. Definition indicated for B0058 was R/F Passenger pretensioner deployment loop open, and B0059 Voltage in the loop out of range

·
18,913 Posts
basscat, I posted the codes and definitions, do you have any recommendations?
=====================
sorry - didn't see that you posted the codes -
pretensioner codes seem to be getting more and more common on our older Devilles -
I just got it for the driver side on my 2003 DHS - cured it with this common procedure -

in your case - run the passenger seat fully forward -

disconnect BOTH battery cables and touch them together for a couple seconds -

unplug the YELLOW connector under the seat -

inspect/clean the contacts -

reconnect the plug -

reconnect the battery cables -

move the passenger seat back to its "normal" position -

turn the ignition ON - wait 30 seconds - then START the engine -

HOPEFULLY - the air bag light is out -

1 - 20 of 34 Posts