Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this a while back, but being a newbie, think I posted in the wrong forum! Sorry...but anyway. Seen a few posts for air and coolant sensor replacement options for the 76 500 FI. Can't buy the originals so there must be a comparable replacement from a later model engne that could be spliced in. These have a short probe, 1/4 mpt, and something like an 800 to 1400 ohm resistance range. Surely someone has been down this road before....thanks, Mike

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,510 Posts
The sensors on these cars are available for a very high price. there are no sensors that can be used in place of these...there was years when they were not available, but a new batch were make ....good used ones are hard to find, because they were bought up in those years...the water and air sensors are the same, but mose of the time the water sensor went bad , they were worked alot harder...I have some good used ones...

K

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know the data the computer is looking for.
I.E. resistance/voltage equals temperature.
If this is known a solution could be worked out with a different sensor.

Old sensors could be used to genetrate the data but would not be as accurate becuase the accuray of the sensor is unknown.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. I am working on the specific ohm range at specific temp of the original sensors. I have the oem shop manual for that year. Have located a couple used ones but no info yet on the resistance test to see if they are still good.
Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
One book I have says the reading should be between 600 and 1600 ohms. No temp specific readings given. Reading increases with temperature. I understand these are made with fine nichrome wire like a power resistor.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually saw a post in this forum, some time back, noting the resistance at cold startup and operating temp, now I cant find it.

·
Registered
1981 Fleetwood brougham
29 Posts
Where are they located on the 368 motor? Thanks...I have the replacement just cant find where it goes..

·
Registered
1981 Fleetwood brougham
29 Posts
NEED HELP, locating the temperture coolant sensor!!

Ok guys and gals....The error code said the coolant sensor was bad....so I go to my local Advance and get one....now the problem is I cant find anything that looks like what I have.....it is the 1981 fleetwood brougham with the 368 motor..its the 4-6-8 motor if you need that...

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,510 Posts
drlowz... I think the replacement sensor will have a different plug for it.. If I remember right they will give you a new plug to be spliced in to work with the new sensor....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts