Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My parents have a 1994 Cadillac with about 144,000 miles and were having some major problems with it... im really trying to get some help because they've spent more money trying to fix the car, than what its currently worth..first off, when its on the highway, traveling at about 70-75 miles per hour, the car just dies (as in the engine just shuts off, but there is still power) and a fuse for the Fuel pump blows, then a code comes up for it along with a 'service ride control' message. We then try to replace the fuse, and without starting the car, it blows, constantly. Weve had an electrical problem with the car- the front wire harness was on the manifold gasket, and it burnt the wires but we had that replaced. We've also had a problem with the "ELC" fuse constantly blowing, so we just left it because it didn't effect the ride of the car. There's another problem with the rear brake light--when the headlight is on, none of the lights on the right work and when the headlight is not on, it works. My uncle says I should just light the car on fire, but I love this car dearly, and your help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou,
Vinnie

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,184 Posts
It sounds like your problem stems from the original electrical problem. Trace all the wires from the replaced loom to be sure they were not burnt. Maybe a bad wire in the fuel pump circuit or in the pump itself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Ranger. Do you think one of those service manuals, the one you can buy at Auto Zone can help me with this?

Thanks again,
Vinnie

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
triniboy4050 said:
Thanks a lot Ranger. Do you think one of those service manuals, the one you can buy at Auto Zone can help me with this?

Thanks again,
Vinnie
Youn want to get a factory service manual, try Helm, Inc.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
pull the hard plastic liner out of the trunk that goes around the lower ledge of the trunk and inspect the ground wire there ....those sometimes come apart (mine did)

as for the fuel pump and all that , fuel pump could be going bad .....but lets check those grounds first

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
The service manuals from the parts stores will not help. Their electrical diagrams, what minimal they do have, aren't very helpful at all. Get a Helm's manual like Kev said.

·
Registered
1994 DeVille & 1995 Fleetwood
149 Posts
As for the 'service ride control' message, I know very few 94 DeVille's where that message is NOT on the dash.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the help...i checked the back for the brake ground wire, but I wasn't able to find anything. I don't know what to do again.

Im only 16 years old, and trying to troubleshoot this car is quite difficult...Im also trying to convince my parents to give me the car, which they most likely will, only if I can prove to them I am able to fix it. What a hassle!

Thanks
Vinnie

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
triniboy4050 said:
Thanks a lot for the help...i checked the back for the brake ground wire, but I wasn't able to find anything. I don't know what to do again.

Im only 16 years old, and trying to troubleshoot this car is quite difficult...Im also trying to convince my parents to give me the car, which they most likely will, only if I can prove to them I am able to fix it. What a hassle!

Thanks
Vinnie
The folks here are glad to help as much as they can. Keep a cool head and use patience and you'll do just fine. The factory service manual from Helm, Inc. will cost you some coin and it is a bit complicated but well worth it in the long run. What you don't understand in the manual can probably be explained by one of our members here in clearer detail so feel free to ask any questions you have.

You may already know this, your car has a self-diagnostic system which can be accessed by pressing the Off and Warmer buttons at the same time for about 30 seconds until it starts it's diagnostics. Then watch the information center on the left for trouble codes. Write down any that you see and post them here. We will help you understand what they mean.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21558

And Vi
nnie, welcome to the forums! :welcome:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kev. Patience is a virtue, and its also something I lack in..lol

For the codes, heres what I got:
Service Ride Control ---on the dash before I entered the diagnostics
I039 Current
I052 History

As for the Helms manual, I can't afford 105.00 if I buy this, it will be all of my Christmas money..is there an online manual?

thanks
Vinnie

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
triniboy4050 said:
Thanks Kev. Patience is a virtue, and its also something I lack in..lol

For the codes, heres what I got:
Service Ride Control ---on the dash before I entered the diagnostics
I039 Current
I052 History

As for the Helms manual, I can't afford 105.00 if I buy this, it will be all of my Christmas money..is there an online manual?

thanks
Vinnie
Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Codes
Code Description
I022 .............................................. Panel Dimming Switch Pot Circuit
I027 ........................................................ PRND321 switch failure
I032 .......................................................... Loss of ABS/TCS Data
I033 ................................ Loss of Supplemental Inflatable Restraint Data
I034 ........................................ Loss of Powertrain Control Module Data
I037 ...................................... Loss of Air Conditioning Programmer Data
I039 .......................................... Loss of Road Sensing Suspension Data
I041 ....................................................... Battery Voltage Too Low
I042 ...................................................... Battery Voltage Too High
I052 ....................................................... Keep Alive Memory Error
I056 ......................................... Instrument Panel Cluster EEPROM Error

·
Registered
10,429 Posts

·
Registered
10,429 Posts

·
Registered
10,429 Posts

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Vinnie,
You can enter the specific codes in the search window and find previous threads which mention them. You will have to wade through a lot of un-related stuff but you might find one that helps with your problems.

It seams to me that you may still be having problems as a result of the initial wiring harness damage. It may be possible that the damage to the harness may have in turn damaged some of the sensors connected. Just a thought. What you don't want to do is start replacing parts on a guess, you could end up spending a lot of money for nothing that way.

I'm sorry that I can not be more specific help to you, My DeVille is only an 89, quite a bit different than yours. It is my hope that some of the other members that have 94 DeVilles will help out some.

Hang in there buddy, help is on the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey thanks a lot Kev, your help is very much appreciated. Hopefully i'll find out exactly what the P020 code means.
All of these codes seems like a foreign language to me.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
P020 (E020) ............... Open Fuel Pump Circuit

That may be a result of the fuse for the fuel pump blowing. What you need to know is what caused the fuse to blow? Obviously the circuit was overloaded. As Stoneage_Caddy said, it may be the pump going out. Also as he said, check those ground wires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whats really sad is I have no clue where the fuel pump is or what it looks like. Is it in the engine? Or under the car? and will it need to be jacked up?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts