Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'85 Seville Commemorative, '69 Sedan deVille, '06 CTS Sport
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the wipers on my '96 SLS and couldnt help but thinking: "Hey this would be neat with (yeah, im gonna say it) just one wiper blade." I know ill be dis-owned if not kicked off the forum for saying that, but hey, its a european styled car, i cant help it...
Has anyone made the modifications to do this? I would probably need a 24" blade if not longer, but how do I make that middle wiper motor sweep the whole windsheild? :hide: Thanks for any input. Ill understand if you all hate me. Peace, and happy new year.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Race cars can get away with this because the driver sits towards the center as mush as possible. This would not be cool because you would not get good coverage because a single arm is not long enough. I know cars like the big body Benz of the '90's had this but you have to understand the wiper was designed from the start to do this.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The right hand motor is exactly centered, and based on my measurements and some simple geometry: with a wiper blade that is approx. 2" longer (1"on either side), triming the stop block for the left hand wiper, and modifying the motor to sweep the entire width of the windshield I think i would get ample coverage of the shield... by 'ample' I mean "enough." Remember the conception of the idea is all about form (style: symmetry) and not so much function. Plus Rain-X does a good job anyhow.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Well, on my Seville the wipers are hidden when not in use so I coldn't care less either way. I got the impression you were talking some crazy rice stuff where the wiper was always up on the windscreen. It's your car and if you like it try it out.

The only benefit I can see is replacing a single blade but whatever.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
My '79 VW Scirrocco had a single wiper up front (single on rear glass too) and I hated it. In anything but a light shower, it couldn't keep the glass clear.
When you think about the huge arc a single blade has to traverse, you have to ask "what were they thinking?".

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
"Hey this would be neat with (yeah, im gonna say it) just one wiper blade." I know ill be dis-owned if not kicked off the forum for saying that,
Let the ribbing commence.

Just kidding, after all, you are a cadillac loyalist.

RainX is great.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the idea started when i noticed that the right hand wiper isnt completely hidden, you cant see it from inside the car, but when standing next to it you can see that almost the whole wiper sticks out above the hood, which i hate. but the left hand wiper is hidden pretty well, so i thought about removing the right hand wiper all-together and extending the pass of the left one. But i was thinking minimal ricey-ness here; (otherwise it just looks like your wiper is broken), hidden when its around you guys:) , but cool when those little matchbox cars with chef boyardee cans come around:bigroll: .
The only benefit in my POV: style. When wiper blades are $9 a piece im not going to go broke replacing two of them at a time.
The only car ive seen it functioning on was my buddy's '89 Prelude, and come to think of it, i dont think that worked all that well. :bang2:
Thanks for the comments guys

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You are right about that passenger's side wiper. Often times, as I pass that side of the car I will try to push the wiper arm further down so it isn't so noticable. But it is already resting on the wiper park block, so it remains somewhat in the open.

It is not only my pet peeve, but others also, so I now see.

·
Registered
157 Posts
RainX is a pretty cool way to keep vision clear, at 45 MPH plus. When I first got my Eldo ETC, I read about the RainSense (RS) and thought that was pretty cool too. The first time I used it, it didn't work. The reason wasn't that the windsheild (WS) had been treated, which it was, but the idiot that replaced the WS sometime before I owned it had put the RS back in place with a solid piece of two sided adhesive tape. The RS will not work with the "eyes" blocked.
But during this period of learning about the RS I read that to treat the WS with a film like silicone, i.e., RainX, will not let the rain "sheet" in order to let the RS work. Now, for me, I don't like the RainX because at night when it's raining and going under 45MPH, when I drive under street lights the light is reflected in a way that prevents good vision. Hell, it blinds me every light I go under. So, I have re-attached the RS with the correct adhesive material and it works really well for me, suprisingly so.
It's just another one of those things that we do (like RainX) that really is in conflict with the way these Cadillacs were designed. The engineers designed the RS to be a convenience, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, we know a better way! LOL. My suggestion is pretty much as always when it comes to these Caddy's we all love. Leave it alone, we payed alot of money for the engineers to do a good job.
As for the single wiper, just remove the passenger side arm, then tell us how you lile it.
lry99eldo

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I live in Europe...... I own and have owned European cars......

Advice: DONT DO IT

Its fine, until you realise the area directly where yorue face is, doesnt get covered by the wiper :yup:

Obviously, its your car, and if you want to....

But I wouldnt event hink about it.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
mccombie_5 said:
I live in Europe...... I own and have owned European cars......

Advice: DONT DO IT

Its fine, until you realise the area directly where yorue face is, doesnt get covered by the wiper :yup:

Obviously, its your car, and if you want to....

But I wouldnt event hink about it.
party pooper...

Just kidding Mac! :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What do i have to do to bring this home? FORM (style) NOT FUNCTION. The initial purpose of this post; the question i was asking to begin with was: how can this be done, not should it be, or why shouldnt it be done, but how. Sorry to pitch a bitch.
The plan was to remove the driver's side arm, get a longer blade and modify the passenger side wiper motor (the motor in the middle) to sweep almost 180 degrees of the windscreen. :duck:
It can always be reversed if i dont like it... i think
Ive never noticed a horrible glare from the rainX on any of my cars. make sure you apply it right, if you miss one of those steps or dont get it worked around well enough itll leave a nasty oil slick all over your ws.

OH and on another topic, i just got in the mail a brushed alluminum instrument cluster bezel from fire and ice motorsports, going to install it in the morning, may have pics soon.
I know what youre saying to yourself: "This guys rice-ing out this poor Cadillac" I honestly dont mean to :duck: If they made a woodgrain bezel i would have bought that.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You can take a classic muscle car and change out the IPCs and I wouldn't consider it rice. The single windshield wiper...hmm.

Do post a pic of the IPC installed.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
highonchai said:
What do i have to do to bring this home? FORM (style) NOT FUNCTION.
But you need to know the school of Bahaus(SP) form and function! Why not put a pretty engine in the car that doesn't run?

You knew you'd catch shit for this and the storm is starting to brew.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
The Bauhaus school of design espoused function over form through the 1920s and 30s. The group was founded in Germany, but was forced to close in 1933 during the start of the Nazi regime. One of the main objectives of the Bauhaus was to unify art, craft, and technology.
What DBA-One is saying is you have to expect members to comment on the functional aspect as well as the style. That's where the ricers fail to pull it together.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This what i was trying to get at: clearly its not terribly utilitarian, i thought that was obvious from the begining. but even though it isnt the best idea in the world, its still a possible application, i was just looking for the technical information to make it work; once working perhaps it can be tweaked to become a functional application. I love storms, i sleep so well through them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh, now I get it (well, not really).
LOL, no, you're right in displaying that your intention was to solicit ideas/opinions on the ART of the single wiper. I think most of us get this, yet it is a "driver", right? Form and function are a desired result of a wanted task, not independent of each. Go to the golden rule on this one. The windsheild is very rectangular for functional reasons, as is the desired sweep area for the wipers. The mechanical aspect of placing the wiper in the middle will not cover the area due to the fact that it is quite an accentuated, low profile rectangle and not a reliable funtional concept. Is it doable? Sure, just not practical, that's all. I think that's the input you are looking for.
You could go to the extremes here in both form and funtion, and that would be a customizers dream. For me, the most beautiful and out-there Cadillac is Cadzilla, designed and built in brilliance with twice that amount of money!
I say after all, go for it! It'll be quite a task and will test your mechanical abillities to the max, and it'll be fun getting there. And after you're done, I'm sure you'll have second thoughts of changing things because you thought, " I just don't like the look of that". I've been down that road too. Some things have been worth it, most not.
I'm not being passive aggressive here, just trying to be part of the discussion.
lry99eldo

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, the ZZ Top/Coddington creation. I have to say though, those model pics do not do it justice. To see it in the real is an incredible example of tinmanship.
Now, it isn't a new Cadillac, or "newer" in respect to what we are talking about here, I use this as example to the Form/Function thing and how far it can be taken. And, of course, there are those that think this example is the worst thing they've ever seen. Some of us have experienced the Lead Sled times in the real and there were some great creations that we see images of from the car manufactures today all inspired from that period of backyard customizing. And to think of it, I don't think there are wipers on this car.
Just think of all the dynamics involved in the engineering of good, functional, and reliable wipers.
lry99eldo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts