Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever did business with autorepair warranty.com. There offering me a 48 month/54k bumper to bumper warranty. Best deal i could fine well one of the only companies that i qualified for with the mileage on my car (2000 sts 91k). the price is $1599. I've read what is included and excluded in the coverage but when it comes to fixing& paying for cadillac repairs loop holes seem to pop up. What do i need to look out for

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,971 Posts
One loophole I have heard of is that they only cover gaskets if they need to be replaced because of a mechanical failure of another part. In other words, head gaskets are not covered unless you could prove that the failure was because of pulled threads, but that is like trying to prove what came first, the chicken or the egg. Read it closely.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
1) Search this forum... lots of debates on warranties. About a 50/50 split in opinions... But I would say most agree that if you decide that a warranty is right for you, your best bet it to get one from a large known insurance company or GMPP.
2) Google the firm you are interested in... If no-one has heard of it... RUN away.
3) If you get a policy... Make sure it covers the expensive things on these cars to fix. This includes
i) Head gaskets... gaskets (including the head gasket) are often excluded to avoid paying for oil leaks
ii) Suspension ... Shocks and struts are often excluded and declared "wear items"
iii) Non essential Electronics... Heated seats, Nav system, Stability control, etc... Careful here most polices will cover the ECM but will exclude the BCM and supporting "gizmos"
iv) Emissions system... These policies also tend to exclude the exhaust... If you price a factory Cat for one of these cars you will be shocked..

At least the price isn't too bad... is the $1600 annual? or is it only $400 per year? At $400 per year you are on the edge of what I would have paid if I had my car fixed at a dealer. I'll bet for that price there is a size-able deductible or a claim cap that will exclude a big chunk of large repairs.

You need to read the fine print... What does "bumper to bumper" mean..

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Bottom line, if its not an exclusionary warranty, meaning a warranty that SPECIFICALLY tells you what things *ARE NOT* covered only, then run far far away. You must ensure that seals and gaskets coverage is provided or why even have a warranty on a Northstar Cadillac to begin with?

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input guys doing a little research on the small print. I also had another offer which is a little more $1895 ($379 down $126 month) but this is a wear and tear warranty and the rep went pretty in debt. Its a 24 month 24k warranty with autoprotection.com

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Stay away from all aftermarket warranties, in my opinion. Save the money, and pay as you go. First of all, about a dozen companies file for bankruptcy annually. Secondly, with many of these companies, you are out of luck if they refuse to cover something because they are not governed by state ins commission, as many are insurance policies.

Very simple way to see if a warr is of much value. Take a copy of it and a box of donuts to a local srv mgr at any dealership. Have him/her review it with you. You will be surprised at what it does not cover.

The above is my opinion.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Z06 is right,

I forgot to cover the aspect of the extended warranty merry-go-round as I like to call it. Most of the extended warranty companies out there will not exist within a year, its just the blatant fact.

There are only a few that are actually trustworthy. Any of the manufacturer backed plans of course, while expensive, are the best ones out there. After that you have a small pool of aftermarket companies which have been around long enough to have some credibility, the first one that comes to mind is WarrantyDirect. The other, which I believe can only be obtained via a car dealer, is Fidelity. Fidelity is backed by the JM group which runs the largest Toyota/Lexus dealer network in the southeast. Fidelity is in-fact the company that is BEHIND Toyota's Certified Pre-Owned program.

The best thing to do is find an OLD warranty review site, as old as possible, and THEN see how many of the companies they reviewed still exist... Those are usually the ones to stick with. Alot of people, including my brother, were bitten by SmartChoice several years ago, this affected alot of dealers as well. Luckily, we had already gotten more than the cost of the warranty out of them in covered repairs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts