Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the market for a V, mainly looking at the '04-05 year range because of the pricing. That said, I've been thinking about waiting for the new '09s to roll out (will be out in roughly 1 year - correct?), so that I can step up to an 06+ LS2 and save a little cash in the process.

That begs the question -

1) How is the aftermarket support for the LS2 vs the LS6? The LS6 seems to have a wide array of venders/options. Can the same be said for the LS2? I'm assuming the fact that the GTO is also using it helps.

And that leads to another question. Obviously the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" has a lot of merit, but -

2) Does the 6.0 LS2 have THAT much more potential? Enough to warrant the extra cash?

Bottom line is that I'm pretty much looking for a 500rwhp daily driver, but would always love to have the potential to go for more. IYO, Would the LS2 give me my moneys worth and justify the wait?

3) Are there any other advantages/options that the '06+ V's have over the '04-05s other than the Diff?

·
Registered
2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V
245 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hopefully you find a V soon! I haven't done much upgrading to my '04 yet, but have researched it a little. I purchased my V used with 40k miles and haven't had any real problem with it yet. It's a great ride overall so far for me.

1. Pretty sure there are more options for the LS6. Particularly bolt on CTS-V specific stuff. Not sure of particulars, but I think LS2 probably has all the same engine internal upgrade options and intake/exhaust airflow improvement options as the LS6 more or less. If you want FI though and don't want to have to have much of anything fabricated to make it work with the engine I think there is more choice on the LS6. If you want a turbo setup though they are probably both ok. I haven't done a thing to my '04 yet though so I am not your best source of info on this stuff by any means.

2. IMHO it is probably not worth the wait. A lot of the '04/'05's already have the '06+ rear ends anyhow as they went on so many people. I have read that that smaller displacement and more extreme lightweight moving parts design of the LS6 give it a slightly quicker throttle response than the LS2's. Not sure if the difference is all that big though.

3. Not sure if it was '06 or '07, but some of the buttons on the steering wheel were remapped to do stereo control rather than cruise and cruise was moved back to the blinker stick where it belongs. There are other things also, but that seems to be the most desirable change that is really tough to make happen if you don't just have the newer car. Sure someone else will have other input on this one. If you want to use Onstar you need to make sure you have the digital onstar system. My '04 has analog, but I think '05's are mostly digital and I think maybe even some '04s are digital or atleast have been upgraded to digital.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
Stock LS2 seems to have an advantage of about 20-25 RWHP compared to stock LS6. (Ref: My car assuming mods added 25-30 RWHP vs Woody_MI's stock '06 on same dyno.)

·
Registered
09 White Diamond Slade, 05 Black CTS-V, 94 White Diamond STS
88 Posts
LS2's PCM is capable of tuning on the fly, LS6 is not unless you buy the Roadrunner unit, which may or may not hold any value for you. LS2 has around 1/2 point more compression ratio than LS6 making the LS6 more desireable for FI in stock form. However LS2 has more tame cam specs stock than LS6 has, so you get more from a cam swap & tune with LS2.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
From an aftermarket perspective one thing to consider:

GEN III (LS1, LS6, LQ9, etc.) ran from 1997 - 2005
GEN IV (LS2 etc.) will run from 2005 - 2008(?)

The install base of GEN III is very large. Install base for Gen IV is still fairly large, but not as big as GENIII.

A lot of the GEN III stuff will fit GENIV, but not all.

I'm unsure how much of the GEN V (???, LS3, etc.) stuff will fit the earlier GEN engines.

Food for thought.

I wouldn't get too caught up in a lot of this though. You are going to be in a good spot whichever way you decide. If you can find a mostly mod-friendly dealer, the 100K warranty on the 06+ cars is REALLY great.

-Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts