Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a place that has aluminum radiators to fit my El Camino, which is getting the Caddy engine. They say it will cool to 650 HP. There is also one listed to cool up to 450 HP. I believe they are referring to big-block Chevy engines, but sort of wondered how the big Caddy will cool. The radiator in the '76 that this engine is from, was quite big, making me question how big a new one should be,,cooling-wise. (??)

BILL

·
Registered
Cadillac
58 Posts
After using some Caddy and rat motors in similar chassis I think that the two cooling systems are close. A radiator listed to cool a rat motr to 450 or 650 hp will probably do a very similar powered caddy engine. Better to be too big than too small depending upon intended usage. Drag racine may be better to get the small one, street running maybe the big one would be in order if the hp figures are close to what you expect.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
With all the mods on this 500, I would expect the power to be in the area of 450, even though this is the first 500 I've been into. The bigger radiator would seem better for normal street use wouldn't it. After CC check of combustion chamber volume etc I came up with 9.6:1, (flat top pistons). I would think the higher compression would run a bit warmer than stock. I had the block decked a bit for a clean-up of pits around the water jacket openings, and then had to machine the tops of the pistons for clearance/deck height.
Should be an interesting engine:rolleyes:
BILL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts