Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know this has been a well talked about topic, but i wasn't sure if anyone had mentioned this yet:

recently while on the phone with the borla engineer, i asked about voiding the warranty with the exhaust system. he told me to look up the Magnuson-Moss Act and read it. so, i did. very interesting find. i figured if anyone was having or MAY have questions or warranty issues from the dealer...show them this...

**only a portion of the Act on aftermarket parts**

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

**We mentioned that before, but the Act actually gives it in writing, from your very own Federal Gov't. so if you have an aftermarket exhaust on and they deny you warranty work for something totally unrelated they are under a breach of contract.

btw, i ordered the exhaust yesterday...ca't wait for it to come..

3-0
________________EDIT______________
if you want all the sections, you can find them here...it's all in lawyer speak, so good luck with interpretation...
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sup_01_15_10_50.html

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
"...the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty."

SO, if you are installing something that INCREASES factory HP or torque, then it would be pretty easy for a manufactorer to say that the mod CAUSED the damade to the engine, etc.

What Magnuson moss says is that IF you are repairing or serfiving your car you don't HAVE to use factory parts, this however does not extend to MODIFICATION of your car from original spec.

There are 2 distinct types of aftermarket parts:
1) simple direct replacement parts
2) Aftermarkert parts designed to alter the performance of your car. Magnuson Moss dosen't cover these types of cars.

Read this: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/ib/04-06-04-054-amparts.pdf

:horse:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts