Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 STS. I'm looking to change out the factory fog lamps and replace them - not bright enough. Should I go with round, square, oval or rectangular? Any brands come to mind? I have looked at the xenarc 1010 driving lights, but at $380, they are pretty cost prohibitive. I'd be willing to shell out between $150 and $200. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
beemer2k said:
I have a 96 STS. I'm looking to change out the factory fog lamps and replace them - not bright enough. Should I go with round, square, oval or rectangular? Any brands come to mind? I have looked at the xenarc 1010 driving lights, but at $380, they are pretty cost prohibitive. I'd be willing to shell out between $150 and $200. Any ideas?
IMO
I don't like anythying but the square they take up the most space and don't leave any space that looks bad. Try putting in better bulbs if that works

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed the bulbs to eurodezigns (6000k)- little improvement. My factory fogs accumulate moisture and the lenses are dulled from wear. I like the way the factory fogs fill the space, but I would sacrifice a perfect fit for better light

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
beemer2k said:
I just changed the bulbs to eurodezigns (6000k)- little improvement. My factory fogs accumulate moisture and the lenses are dulled from wear. I like the way the factory fogs fill the space, but I would sacrifice a perfect fit for better light
Have you tried removing the light covers and cleaning them up then resealing them so there is no more moisture.

If your not up to doing that i found the best place for fog lights it ricer shops they have just about any style your looking for.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I know there is a cost issue but I used to have Hella Micro DE Xenon fogs in the openings of my old 03 Passat (perfect fit), and it just did wonders for the entire appearance of the car from the front overall. Best upgrade I have ever done almost. Spend a little more and go with Xenon, you will be impressed. Only reason I havent done that to my STS is because its already got Xenon in the headlamps. Guess im just a huge HID fan.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
I know there is a cost issue but I used to have Hella Micro DE Xenon fogs in the openings of my old 03 Passat (perfect fit), and it just did wonders for the entire appearance of the car from the front overall. Best upgrade I have ever done almost. Spend a little more and go with Xenon, you will be impressed. Only reason I havent done that to my STS is because its already got Xenon in the headlamps. Guess im just a huge HID fan.
what about those xenon bulb replacements you see everywhere???? are they any good any specific brand that is better than others, what price are they normally, do you do that for the high and low?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Well it depends, youve sort of got two different camps. One is a slu of manufacturers that call simple replacement halogen bulbs "Xenon,HID or Plasma" with the latter description probably being the most acurate. They are just blue or otherwise painted bulbs with a small amount of gas in them that makes them slightly brighter from the inside, but the blue paint actually causes you to have LESS light out in front of you. I dont like this at all but for many it is a viable option. These run from 15 t0 75.00 approx. per pair.

Then you have genuine HID retrofit kits made by companies like CATZ, EAGLE EYE, and others to name a few. The good ones of these (Catz comes to mind as an excellent choice), are anywhere from 300-500.00 for a PAIR (in comparison replacement STS Xenon assys are 700 EACH), and provide all components necessary to simply remove your current bulb, and fit the new HID bulbs into the existing openings (various kits are available and assorted by color intensity [4300k is the industry standard] and by original replaced bulb size). This is probably the easiest and most cost effective retrofit of a stock housing halogen setup without going to individual parts taken from actual HID lighted vehicles, which can get very expensive. Problem with these is quite simple... As of August 15th the NHTSA made a ruling that I believe restricts the sale of these "kits" in the US. You can still by parts for current HID lighted vehicles, but any manufacturer selling any kind of retrofit "kit" is reportedly subject to heavy penalties.

I still routinely see them on ebay, so they cant be that hard to get. WWW.HIDFORUM.COM is an excellent technical resource for HID lighting questions.

Just some ideas.
-Ian.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the x1010. Could drive with just them on.... Pretty nice purchase off of Ebay to save some money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts