Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 seville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times before, I'm just to frustrated to search.

I was trying to install a CD player in my 92 Seville, at this point from what I've read I'm giving up. I'm not totally dumb when it comes to cars but what I've read about this is crazy.....

The CD player is a pioneer, I bought a wiring harness but it doesn't match what is hooked to the radio in the car which has a CD player but it doesn't work.. it has 2 plugs..I have 1.

I've read I have to get an antenna extension, require all new speaker wires, change out the speakers and then figure out a way to bypass the Bose amp...which in not even sure the car has to begin with.

I don't even know where to begin, if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Start with a OEM CD player just like the one you have in the car. Is cheap, easy to find and requires no adapters, connectors and other headaches. If you have CD player you have BOSE sound system. The radio and amplifier are in the trunk near the antenna. The thing you see in the dashboard is just a CD player with display and buttons. Each speaker has its own amplifier too, the sound system layout is not what you would imagine a HU in the dash with wires going directly to the speakers, oh no, not even close. Basically you either change every component in the sound system (harness included) to get a aftermarket unit in the dash (that looks like nothing else in the car) or you spend under $30 and replace the CD player with one that is identical, looks like it belongs in the car.

·
Registered
92 seville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought the car the guy told me that the bose HU and speakers was in the trunk, as in it was not installed...the HU that is in the trunk is just a tape deck.

Only one speaker works in the whole car, I'm assuming they are blown. If it is easier to buy a stock HU (which i really do hate) do I have to buy new bose speakers??

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
You would have to replace speakers if you go with NON Bose HU. Check the speakers if you're not sure if the HU is from the car to see if it's a Bose setup

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
What hu is in dash now? Stock GM or aftermarket? Ur speakers might be fine but a botched hu install can make them nonfunctional. Like bypassing stock amp or screwing up wiring

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,931 Posts
Keep in mind that the stock Bose speakers run at 2ohm and the amps connected to each one is also 2ohm. The only after market solution for the amps is Infinity's reference line. Slapping any other 4ohm speaker on a 2ohm amp will be a downgrade imo

·
Registered
92 seville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, my pathfinder has a built in sub and I know when i upgraded to a better aftermarket CD player I had to make sure the amp was hooked up, I couldn't figure out why at first I wasn't getting any sound then I realized why.

I will take some pictures of what CD player/radio is in the car as well as the tape deck and speakers in the truck..if I remember correctly I don't think either say bose on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts