Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts
Do you really expect advance auto to have a brake pad that almost nobody else on the planet seems to have?

Roy
I think it's possible because the pad Advance Auto carries is made in Italy (FEDERAL-MOGUL ITALY) and maybe the Italian Brembo has sub contracted with them to make a replacement pad. That's why I'm also pursuing Disc Italia.

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts
Well the Ferodo Pads "almost fit, within about 3mm. that was the width needed to hang properly from the pins. They were semi-metallics pads like the stock Brembo Pads. I would have used them while I sent the Brembo pads to a custom brake manufacturer to them properly sized for making custom ceramic pads. Just wanted you to know I'm still trying. The ceramics I bought from AutoZone for the rear calipers (see my response above) are working out well, no dust or noise.

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts
Just got a set of Wagner TQ Ceramic Pads I ordered from Amazon. When I opened the box I thought I had a winner. When I matched them up with the old pad they were actually much smaller. The description said they fit the CT6-V with Brembo Brakes. I traced out the installed Brembo brake with dimensions if it helps anyone find a replacement.

The Wagner pad matched up to sketch shows how much smaller it is. The holes for the pins were also 1/4" narrower. If the pad had been the correct width I would have elongated the pin holes. Luckily Amazon has an easy return process.

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I thought I should chime back in here to report my findings since starting this thread. I’ve spoken with the head of Cadillac here in Canada, a product manager from the US that was involved with the development of the CT6-V, and a GM executive team member who investigated my complaints and findings regarding the lack of aftermarket options for brake replacement. The conclusions from all three were the same - at current, there are no aftermarket pads that will provide true fitment and we are stuck with the OEM brembo pads available through GM until such time that an aftermarket pad manufacturer deems it a viable option to produce pads for such a limited production vehicle. There will be a variety of options for the rear brake caliper, however you will have to bypass the wear sensors as they won’t have the proper threading holes etc.

I appreciate the info and efforts you’ve made mjdart54 and hopefully some of the inquiries you’ve made with aftermarket manufacturers bear fruit in time, but I’m thinking, as others have been quick to point out, that there is little chance they will make anything for such a limited run vehicle.

I’ve replaced my front and rear pads and this time I’ve gone through the intensive bedding/burnishing procedure, and so far they feel way better than my last set, but we’ll see what they’re like in another 20,000 Km as that’s where I began to experience the bulk of the issues we’ve all been complaining about.

Thanks again for all your efforts and info and I’ll let you know if I turn up anything else on my end as well.

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts
Thanks PRS-7, what pads did you use to replace your originals. I was wondering if the GM replacement pads I find are maybe a firmer semi-metallic than the Brembo (Ferodo) Pads.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you try contacting Porterfield to see what they had to say? You should be able to send them your old pads and have them make new ones to bond to your originals.

Roy

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts
Did you try contacting Porterfield to see what they had to say? You should be able to send them your old pads and have them make new ones to bond to your originals.

Roy
I've looked, but I don't yet have old pads to send them. I just wrote them to see what options may be available to us.

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts
Sent Porterfield a request for brakes for our cars. They needed more info and here's their first reply. I sent them the pad and caliper photos along with my sketch with dimensions.

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts
I've got good news, Stephanie at Porterfield says they have a pad that fits our front calipers. The compound used is R4-S and they are $199 for the front pads. They added a link to their website for the Cadillac CT6-V.

R4-S High Performance Street Brake Pads
For high performance and heavy duty street conditions the Porterfield R4-S compound remains a top performer in the realm of street/performance brake pads. With the R4-S compound giving a friction level up to .41. This is an amazingly fast stopping brake pad. Simply put, they will give you an impressive increase in stopping ability with very minimum amount of pedal effort. Perfect for prolonged everyday street driving while also being capable of enduring the most severe use without fade. It is also rotor friendly of course. We have gone to great measures to ensure that the R4-S compound has the absolute lowest noise and dust levels possible, far below O.E.M. equipment or any other high performance brake material. The R4-S compound which has an overall win in the Baja 1000 is available for most models of cars, trucks, and SUV’s. Superb stopping power under heavy use. Great for occasional autocrossing, solo events, off road events and rallies. Perhaps one of the overall best performing, clean and quiet everyday high performance driving brake pad ever made.

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,652 Posts
So they already have the R4-S compound in that pad shape, or are they going to make them based on your drawings/measurements? If it's the former, then what else uses that pad shape (since they presumably didn't produce the pads for the CT6-V, but rather for some other platform that already exists)?

Edit: I see at the link it specifically calls out the '19-20 CT6-V, and nothing else. Just seems strange that they would already have that pad shape in stock.

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts
They're making the pads with a one day turnaround. Once the team found they had the correct shape available Stephanie added the link for future orders. This is the Porterfield pad pictured below, it matches the Brembo Pad.

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts

You can see the Porterfield Pad above matches up nicely with the Brembo Pad below. The box says that the material the pads are mad from are Ceramic Kevlar.

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6-V
112 Posts
I just finished installing the new Porterfield Ceramic Kevlar front brake pads. The fit was perfect and the shape directly mimics the Brembo pads, so the spring retainers are also a spot on fit. I started the car up and saw it had thrown several codes for stability control, braking, and anti-lock. I used my Walmart bought code reader to erase them. Then I took the car for some testing and a half dozen 60 to 10 mph, quick stops. The new brakes work perfectly and when I came home using the brakes to creep position the car in the garage, there was none of that awful low speed groaning noises the Brembo's made. I'll report back after some miles while watching for the elimination of the vast amounts of brake dust.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts