Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my antenna stopped working like everyone elses, but here's the thing, the motor is toast as it won't come on, the relay clicks but that's about it, I checked continuity which are all good so it's def the motor. Since I didn't want to spend $100+ on a new antenna I bought a universal kit ($45) but it's only got 2 inputs, unswitched (power off + down) and switched (power on + up) whereas the caddy system is designed with a power on all the time with either the switch in the up or down position, i.e. 3 inputs.

I've attached the pics of the wiring diagrams. I've tried a few things but to no avail. If I've misundersood the diagrams or anyone can shed some light on my predicament I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's how to adapt it, I figured it out with some help from a friend:

1) Remove the old assembly and disconnect the body wire plug (3 wires Orange, Green, Black) from the relay on the mast.
2) Take the relay off of the old mast and put it on the new one.
3) Cut off the 3 wire plug from the OLD antenna assembly (3 wires White, Dark Green, Gray)
4) Tape off the WHITE and GRAY wires
5) Splice in the RED wire to the ORANGE wire BEFORE it plugs into the relay (this is the always hot line), if you use a splice connector you don't have to cut the sheaths on either wire, this is a good thing!
6) Connect the BLUE wire to the DARK GREEN wire on the plug from the old antenna, I used butt connectors, easy and safe.
7) Plug in both plugs to the relay
8) wire up the ground to the old ground point (you'll have to remove the old strap first)
9) Position the assembly and screw the assembly in from above on the rubber grommet on the body.
10) You may or may not have to do this depending on the kit you buy: get some metal gas tank strap with holes punched in it (the stuff in the kit was too short and the old one was too). Make sure the strap is just barely long enough and screw it into the body first, then attach to the bottom of the antenna assembly.

Voila you're done and have saved a ton of money, I paid $45 for my kit, and spent about that much buying tools and the electrical parts I didn't have, but now I have them for other jobs so I don't consider this a $90 job. I could have gotten away without a wire crimper/stripper, an aircraft grade sheet metal snips, and the inline fuse I origionally bought worrying it was going to burn up. So realistically this can be done with or without the tools for less than $55 for a BRAND NEW antenna assembly :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts