Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes GL550, 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV (for sale)
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I haven't been on CF.com in a long time,
And just found the site again today, and logged in!

And just wanted to say:

After two long years with my 2007 Cadillac ESV,
I finally gave up.
This car has given me it's fair share of troubles,
the Rock concertish wind noise,
Multiple break-ins (No theft's thank god),
3 sets of tires, and the "chrome" fading away.

I finally went to Mercedes-Benz and looked at GL550's,
and am proud to say I have a Black on Black GL550 sitting in my garage right now.

Mercedes ELIMATES the wind noise,
Triples the luxury I ever had with cadillac,
and has all the amentities I don't even need! (Keyless GO, Curve Illuminating Headlamps AND foglamps..the list goes on!)
So I say:
If you are tired of Cadillac not listening to our complaints about the wind noise,
then go mercedes.
You will be over satisfied.
I love this car,
and it's fun to drive!

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Escalade
253 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I am doing the exact opposite, I just got a 2008 Escalade and sold my Mercedes E55 AMG.

·
Registered
None
17 Posts
never owned a mb or a caddy, but driven many.

Can't speak for the GL specifically; All I can say is that many people I know had loads of issues with their MB ranging from SL to C class.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Escalade
253 Posts
How did the Merc treat you ?
Murphy,
I loved the car and in fact I believe it was the best sedan that I have ever owned, but while it was in the shop for it's 10,000 service they gave me an SUV to drive and it made me realize that I missed sitting a little higher on the road. I chose the Escalade due to its styling, horse power, size and comfort. I am just getting to know it and like it so far. I did consider the GL 550, but chose to go with the Escalade - more bang for the buck. We still have the G 500 designo that my wife drives from time to time.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade Platinum
813 Posts
Murphy,
I loved the car and in fact I believe it was the best sedan that I have ever owned, but while it was in the shop for it's 10,000 service they gave me an SUV to drive and it made me realize that I missed sitting a little higher on the road. I chose the Escalade due to its styling, horse power, size and comfort. I am just getting to know it and like it so far. I did consider the GL 550, but chose to go with the Escalade - more bang for the buck. We still have the G 500 designo that my wife drives from time to time.
I had two M5's..MY2000/MY2003 and an E39 540. I found them quite reliable and safe (even after a tbone in my 2003 M5 totalling it) and came very close to replacing it with an E55 but imagine..went for a new Z06 and shortly after added the "lade. I think there is a bigger bang for the buck with the Escalade and certainly cheaper to service. Maybe a Merc will be in the future but for now I'm enjoying Detroit's finest :)

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Hello all,
I haven't been on CF.com in a long time,
And just found the site again today, and logged in!

And just wanted to say:

After two long years with my 2007 Cadillac ESV,
I finally gave up.
This car has given me it's fair share of troubles,
the Rock concertish wind noise,
Multiple break-ins (No theft's thank god),
3 sets of tires, and the "chrome" fading away.

I finally went to Mercedes-Benz and looked at GL550's,
and am proud to say I have a Black on Black GL550 sitting in my garage right now.

Mercedes ELIMATES the wind noise,
Triples the luxury I ever had with cadillac,
and has all the amentities I don't even need! (Keyless GO, Curve Illuminating Headlamps AND foglamps..the list goes on!)
So I say:
If you are tired of Cadillac not listening to our complaints about the wind noise,
then go mercedes.
You will be over satisfied.
I love this car,
and it's fun to drive!
I have a Benz that costs 3 times more than an Escalade, it's been in the shop 3 times more than all 3 Escalade's, that includes the one that blew up, don't get me wrong the Benz is a great car, but it's not without issues too.

·
Banned
2007 Escalade ESV
369 Posts
Yea he will be on another board in a few months taking about his trips to the dealer. They all have to do it sometime. With all the electrical stuff these cars and trucks have, dont think that changing brands is going to protect you from the dealer....just a matter of time!!!

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
I sold my 2003 E55 and went to a 06 CLS - now to a 07 blk blk eski. i am a happy camper for now... but its only been 2 weeks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
All you have to do is go to JD Power and Associates. On forums you get loads of people who have either a very good or very bad experience. Truly, it is hard to tell average quality on here. JD Power does look at averages. According to their ratings Merc GL/ML = POS. The Escalades, I believe, got the second or third best rating in class. Also, look at the latest customer satisfaction studies. Without question, Escalades came out on top. Just remember the Internet is full of extremes--both happy and unhappy. It takes effort to want to take the time to write something. People aren't likely to write if they aren't passionate one way or the other. As a result, it is very difficult to ID averages off of the posts here or any other forum.

T

·
0 Posts
My brother has a GL and I have an Lade. Easy choice for me. My biggest complaint of the GL is that its ugly, looks like the ML, very unimaginative exterior/interior and that its average age target group ought to be >80 years old. The old adage of your grandpa's car/truck is appropriate here. If you don't have style or taste just buy the Mercede. I really don't mean to flame but it is my opinion. My '07 has been in the shop once for a heated windshield washer fluid module recall, that's it. My brother's GL has joint custody with the dealership. :histeric:

·
Registered
2014 ELR
174 Posts
My brother has a GL and I have an Lade. Easy choice for me. My biggest complaint of the GL is that its ugly, looks like the ML, very unimaginative exterior/interior and that its average age target group ought to be >80 years old.
Honestly, you're talking about a Cadillac here. You think the age demographic is any different?

At least Mercedes sells C-classes to people under 50.

- Mark

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade 2007
200 Posts
I must agree the GL550 is a nice vehicle. I also agree that the Escalade gives you more bang for your buck. I looked at both and went with the Lade. Everything came included for the most part, the Benz, by the time I added all the options I wanted the price was on the high end of $80,000.00. Just did not seem worth it to me. Besides I have friends who own Benz's and they seem to be in the shop more than they are on the road. My best friend has had his 08 C class in 7 times so far, though covered under warranty it is a real pain, and the kicker is they give him a Ford Taurus for a loaner to use:bonkers:

·
Registered
'07 QuickSilverLade
287 Posts
In terms of looks, I really prefer the lade...... and I think most people would, cuz when I drive my lade all heads turn, I hardly turn that much for the MB, the lade just has to much grace ..... but if you already owned one, I think you made a GOOD choice.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Escalade issues. I've had an '07 for over three years now and, other than regular maintenance, took it to the dealer only once for the heated washer fluid and wind noise issue. The 2000 S-Class I had, though, was in the sho every couple of months, so I hope you have better luck with MB than I did. I hope Caddy brings out some new colors for the '10 'Slade: my lease is up in March 2010 and I want a new one!

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
I had an '05 M-B S55 AMG that had more than it's far share of problems, especially considering it was their flagship S-class. Luckily the supercharger repair (which would have cost me about $12K) was under warranty or I would have been a seriously unhappy camper. As far as my '07 ESV goes, which I bought brand new/never previously titled last month; it's been in the shop for 15 days out of 35 days of ownership for warranty issues (wind noise, corroded wheels, tranny slippage, etc., etc. etc.). I'm less than completely pleased and since a luxury sedan is on my horizon it's going to be a hard time to give the CTS-V the nod with all of this nonsense. I've never gone Japanese (@ least as far as cars is concerned :eyebrow:) but they definitely have more than their fair share of satisfied owners. I heard M-B picked up the pace on the new E-series AMG (no doubt to try to catch up to the CTS-V) and a test drive might be in order.

If Lexus would extend its F-series to a larger model, like the LS or GS thought would be sweet.

What I don't like is going non-domestic right now. Pardon my flag waving but it I didn't consider anything else besides a Expedition/Navigator or Escalade when it was time to replace my Excursion. Certainly a little close minded but it was important to me. But if the Big 3 just turn into extensions of the US government then that goes right out the window...I know how "well" the federal government works, so I'll take a pass...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts