Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Well lets see... I think these should be called HOT AIR INTAKE and the rating should be 3-10hp loss... cuz thats exactly what they do. I dont care what anyone says but go put a probe in that location and measure the temperature and then measure the temp inside the air box and then tell me what you see cuz i bet you will get hotter temps there then you would inside the OEM box.

BTW the oem box has a cold air port attached to it. I just got a KN air filter for inside the box and I also got a scoop for the pipe in front of the radiator and now my car runs about 5-8degrees hotter then the outside ambient temperature. Before that it was more around 15-20degrees warmer. that is due to the fact that the radiator warms up the intake pipes and they warm up the air.

Look around i have a post of the funnel that i used to direct air into the intake system.

·
Registered
1998 Catera
474 Posts
there wont be any noticable gas savings with the filter. i like it because it makes the engine sounds cool when you really step on it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well lets see... I think these should be called HOT AIR INTAKE and the rating should be 3-10hp loss... cuz thats exactly what they do. I dont care what anyone says but go put a probe in that location and measure the temperature and then measure the temp inside the air box and then tell me what you see cuz i bet you will get hotter temps there then you would inside the OEM box.

BTW the oem box has a cold air port attached to it. I just got a KN air filter for inside the box and I also got a scoop for the pipe in front of the radiator and now my car runs about 5-8degrees hotter then the outside ambient temperature. Before that it was more around 15-20degrees warmer. that is due to the fact that the radiator warms up the intake pipes and they warm up the air.

Look around i have a post of the funnel that i used to direct air into the intake system.
i did take a look at your home-made scoop, and i think it's a brilliant idea.
however, what do you say about putting a RAM Air intake as well as leaving the pipe with the scoop in tact? this way, when the car moves, the air will be scooped up to the hood?
even better would be to add a little fan to opening of that pipe to suck air inside the hood via the pipe.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there wont be any noticable gas savings with the filter. i like it because it makes the engine sounds cool when you really step on it.
yeah, i figured as such; hence, my relluctance in trying it out earlier. temperature under the hood for these Cateras is insanely hot. i roll down the window, and i feel the heat coming from the engine.
but yes, i'll get it just for the sound if it doesn't improve fuel economy.

·
Registered
Catera 98
418 Posts
I replaced my air filter with the stock replacement K&N... stick to that, the rest looks pretty but is pretty much only that... sucking hot air from the engine bay. At least witht he stock airbox, the snorkel up front is useful (I also have a modified snorkel scoop entry (forward facing).

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced my air filter with the stock replacement K&N... stick to that, the rest looks pretty but is pretty much only that... sucking hot air from the engine bay. At least witht he stock airbox, the snorkel up front is useful (I also have a modified snorkel scoop entry (forward facing).
yeah, i am planning on adding the snorkel/scoop as well. if i don't take that pipe out, along with the scoop, it should lower the temperature when the car moves even if I have an after-market air-intake installed.

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Shouldn't have to add it... it should already be there, I just did the same re-cut of the tip... (first post, second picture)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/102983-air-schoop-who-has.html?highlight=air+intake
unfortunately, my 2000 Catera didn't come with any sort of scoop. it looks like the last picture in the thread you've posted.
i'll just have to come up with my own mod.
*edit* thanks Resilient, I found the part # you had posted in the other thread. I'll order this from Cadillac.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts