Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Brazil for family medical emergency.

We got back Sunday night and Monday morning I found our new Escalade was completely dead.
Had to contact cadillac to find out how rot use the manual key in the door.
I still do not know here to plug it in on the dash.

Luckily, my wife's Mercedes ran OK.

I am trying to map pout which plugs retain power and which lose power when the engine is off.
I know the cooler loses power.
I know the plugs near the cooler lose power.

Apparently, one or more of the plugs in the rear retain power.
Cadillac service believes all should retain power.

Anyone that knows the answers to which plugs retain power and which plugs lose power when the engine is off please let me know.

I have also sent a request to the Cadillac Escalade Manager and a Cadillac Executive.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,456 Posts
Factory delco batteries are junk. If you don't want to spring for a better quality battery, I'd recommend a battery tender. A $40 tender keeps my Cadillacs alive when I'm unable to drive them.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
It isnt just Cadillac. Learned the hard way that my Jag must be driven at least once a week or kept on a battery tender.

Its a garage queen during the winter, but I would still try to drive it when weather permits. I could understand if it sat for months at a time, but 2 weeks is the longest it sat, and every time the battery would be dead. Fortunately Jag covered the batteries under warranty, but I shouldn't have to keep it on a charger for such short periods.

Very frustrating.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Factory delco batteries are junk. If you don't want to spring for a better quality battery, I'd recommend a battery tender. A $40 tender keeps my Cadillacs alive when I'm unable to drive them.
I couldn't disagree more.
Deco batteries, along with Motorcraft are simply the best.
The Motorcraft batteries in my 2008 Super Duty are original, and I've never replaced a Delco battery in my life.

I do agree that a simple battery tender fixes all storage problems.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Power Plug Functioning Map in the Escalade.
some turn off with the engine, some stay on up to 10 minutes and some are always on.

(from Cadillac):
Your Owner’s Manual (should be in section 5-7) has all this info. In the index, if you look up Power Outlet you will find this.

1) The power outlet in the small storage bin in the forward part of your floor console stays on 10 minutes after the engine is off.

2) The power outlet inside and on the backside of the console only operate while vehicle is running or ignition is in run/start or Accessory.

3) The 3rd row and rear cargo area power outlets do stay on all the time and will drain your battery if you have something plugged in them and do not run the vehicle for long periods of time.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
One suggestion is to not use the alarm when not driving it

I ran into this issue with my dad's h2(03) and found out the alarm and onstar system both would drain the battery over a week
After he stopped using the alarm and I disconnected the onstar fuse the truck could sit for a month or more(it doesn't get drove in winter) and the battery stay charged

It also has a acdelco battery

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
And this is why I'm adding the second battery!

My '05 Jag sits for 6 weeks at a stretch and still cranks right up...with a 10 year old battery. Alarm stays off, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
I agree with everyone. Best to keep a battery charger. Schumacher is good.

I had a battery issue couple weeks ago with my Platinum, luckily I had the charger with me. Charged it up, drove it straight to the dealer where it died again. The battery was replaced and covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
So, if I were to go on vacation and leave the truck at the airport parking for over a week, I should expect my battery to be dead when I come back? I never had this issue with any of my other cars.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have triple chargers that I used for my Corvette each winter.
The Corvette convertible I did not drive in the winter.
but if I had an H2 I would have used it in the winter.

·
Registered
None
226 Posts
zerdian1 said:
I have triple chargers that I used for my Corvette each winter. The Corvette convertible I did not drive in the winter. but if I had an H2 I would have used it in the winter.

Do think if I remote start my escalade while I'm away will charge it ? And keep it from losing the battery ?

·
Registered
None
226 Posts
FirstEsv said:
Then cancel the remote start after it runs several minutes?

I have to go away for vacation I usually leave it in my driveway I'm thinking if I use the Onstar app to start it and I can do it twice I think would it charge the battery as it runs for those 10 minutes hmmm??. Or sometimes I leave it in long term parking at the airport?

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
I think the new system is computerized or even the 14 and previous that if you leave the light open, interior or exterior, it turns off by itself. So, it must just be a battery issue.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
zerdian1 said:
I have triple chargers that I used for my Corvette each winter. The Corvette convertible I did not drive in the winter. but if I had an H2 I would have used it in the winter.
Some people prefer not to drive even a h2 in winter(my dad is one of those)
I end up driving my escalade in winter(though if I get a 2015 it will never see snow unless needed to)

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
I think we are drifting a bit. If your car goes dead after sitting 3 weeks, there is something else going on. Batteries should not go dead that fast.

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
I don't know if this helps. I rarely drive my truck. It's usually sits in the garage for over a week or longer, but I never turn on the alarm. So far, the battery is ok.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts