Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
866 Posts
Has anyone actually has this service done at a Cadillac dealer? How much did you pay? I really need an apples to apples comparison. Just saying “you’re getting ripped off” doesn’t help. I need data. Thanks
Why do you keep asking questions? The consensus is that you're being ripped off. Dealers are notorious for this in exactly this scenario. Catastrophic engine failure? Sure... we'll fix it for $10k, or, we have a deal for you! We'll take your truck as a trade-in, we'll give you $5k for it and sell you a new Escalade or $80k. Nevermind that the new truck has $10k in profit margin and they'll GIVE the old truck to one of their techs for $2k and that guy will fix it for $1000 in parts.

Get the truck out of there. Any good independent shop will repair it quite well for half the price.

·
Registered
Cadillac
866 Posts
No one has had this service done at a dealer. It's a rip off and everyone has had it towed to a local repair shop to fix it. If you go for it you'll be the first ever.

Steve
Agreed

Reactions: TomM60

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,934 Posts
Yep, on the 4.8 I did, buddy had it diagnosed at the dealer, then he had it towed to the school shop where we did the work. It arrived with one head and all the parts in the bed. Still saved him a few K....

·
Registered
96 FWB
866 Posts
Interesting. Replacing the manifolds?

Have them put all of the disassembled parts in the trunk and take it to an independent shop. Pay half, easily.
Ok, but that'll be another $450 on the current $2,000 bill. Dealers be crafty. Made their entire margin without doing any work!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sheesh $7000 could probably buy you another engine altogether
Just seems really high! Son-in-law recently had the independent shop I use put a used motor in an '01 Suburban (my old one) for $3,500. Motor has about 130k on it. The 5.3 had 260k on it when a lifter collapsed.

·
Registered
2014 Escalade Platinum
47 Posts
A friend of mine just went through this. He got a complete Jasper engine installed and the cost was around $7500.

·
Registered
2006 srx
20 Posts
I replaced the lifters and cam in mine for about $900.00, did it as a diy weekend project. Then later spun a bearing on the crank, so I went with a new crate engine and had it installed for $8000.00.It came with a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The cam lobe is also damaged. My dealer wants roughly $7000 to replace the cam and lifters. Is that a fair price for a dealer to charge? It seems high compared to what I've been reading about this repair job, but would like to hear from the group. I'm already $2000 into the tear down which will be applied to the overall cost and am waiting for a detailed breakdown of the estimate. Thanks
For $1000 more you can get another engine put in from Jasper with a 100,000 mile 3 year guarantee. You'll be much better off because there is a reason you had this catastrophic degradation of that motor. I had the same thing at 185,000 miles. I not only replaced the motor but I also replaced all the sensors, cats, Y pipe and wiring harness. Whoever worked on that motor before also replaced components in the heads and it didn't do a bit of good only to fall apart again. You'll get a higher capacity oil pump as well in this deal. At the same time I replaced the starter motor and alternator so nearly everything under the hood is new. My next move is to get rid of that lousy 6 speed GM transmission and get one that shifts properly all of the time. The junk that was put in the EXT's sure isn't past Cadillac quality. Starting in 2007 to present the transmissions in the SUV's has gone down hill. I was originally going to put a new GM 10 speed in my truck but after reading about all the problems that 10 speed is having with miles on it, I want no part of it.

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe, 1999 ETC, 2012 ESV Premium
131 Posts
For $1000 more you can get another engine put in from Jasper with a 100,000 mile 3 year guarantee. You'll be much better off because there is a reason you had this catastrophic degradation of that motor. I had the same thing at 185,000 miles. I not only replaced the motor but I also replaced all the sensors, cats, Y pipe and wiring harness. Whoever worked on that motor before also replaced components in the heads and it didn't do a bit of good only to fall apart again. You'll get a higher capacity oil pump as well in this deal. At the same time I replaced the starter motor and alternator so nearly everything under the hood is new. My next move is to get rid of that lousy 6 speed GM transmission and get one that shifts properly all of the time. The junk that was put in the EXT's sure isn't past Cadillac quality. Starting in 2007 to present the transmissions in the SUV's has gone down hill. I was originally going to put a new GM 10 speed in my truck but after reading about all the problems that 10 speed is having with miles on it, I want no part of it.
After 2011 I believe all the corrections were made in the 6 speed, the 8 speed has more issues with driveability.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,592 Posts
Just about everything in this post is wrong and rediculous.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well.... got more info. $4100 and some change for parts. They said labor will end up being about $5000, so now $9100-ish total. They also told me they can put in a remanned engine with a 3yr/100k warranty for $11,500 which is tempting.

I'm not totally sure which direction to go in...
Tempting at that price? I don't think so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Illinois. For that price you get instant rust. I brought mine back from a salt free state. Even with 185,000 miles on it the bolt heads and under panels have no rust. Any Cadillac or any other car that spent 13 years in Illinois is ready for the body shop. My son has a 2009 EXT and has had new metal put around the rear wheels already and it's starting to rust under the paint again.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts