Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade ESV Platinum
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cam lobe is also damaged. My dealer wants roughly $7000 to replace the cam and lifters. Is that a fair price for a dealer to charge? It seems high compared to what I've been reading about this repair job, but would like to hear from the group. I'm already $2000 into the tear down which will be applied to the overall cost and am waiting for a detailed breakdown of the estimate. Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,783 Posts
You would need to find a GM labor rate book for time as well as a GM retail parts price list. And with your Cadillac the sky is the limit - and a dealership will push THAT .............

BUT your vehicle is nothing like my old 327 Chevy or Ford 289 - a cam and lifters in those was about 5 hours start to finish. You're probably looking at triple that for starters.

·
Registered
96 FWB
866 Posts
I don't have that model, but if the engine is just a regular 6.2 then something sounds strange from the start. Even if their shop rate is $200 (and that seems on the high end even today), then 10 hours already on just teardown? If t'wer me I'd ask to have the Serv. Mgr. step me through the printout in person. And be sure to get your old cam back showing the damage. Considering they've got your car already apart you're sorta bound to them for whatever repairs. But, even if the estimate itself passes the smell test you still might ask them (better yet, investigate yourself) about savings by installing a reman longblock. And if out of warranty then one without AFM (maybe more savings).

Apparently a common problem with cyl. deactiv. motors:

I'm sure you've seen a hundred of these, but this popped up 1st:

Hope any of that helps. I learned something. AMPUTATE ALL AFM NOW!

·
Registered
Escalade ESV Platinum
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.... got more info. $4100 and some change for parts. They said labor will end up being about $5000, so now $9100-ish total. They also told me they can put in a remanned engine with a 3yr/100k warranty for $11,500 which is tempting.

I'm not totally sure which direction to go in...

·
Registered
96 FWB
866 Posts
There's not an abundance of detail to go with those descriptions and numbers, but maybe that's intentional on their part if you don't have a detailed breakdown in hand. Depending on your year, condition overall and how long you intend to keep the vehicle to amortize off the cost it's a straightforward equation of how much to replace.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,934 Posts
Go to an independent shop. This is not a difficult job. At our school shop, we did the AFM on an Avalanche, and I personally did a cam and lifters in a non AFM 4.8 that wiped a lobe/chewed up a lifter. No need to swap out the engine. Parts come off, cam out, cam in, parts back on. Easy, lol. You can buy all the parts you need online. Cam, lifters, head bolts, etc.

·
Registered
96 FWB
866 Posts
Unfortunately the OP's rig is effectively being held captive at the dealer, having already been torn down to the tune of a $2,000 pending balance. A quick check showed me remans and a 'reasonable' labor charge for pull-reinstall would beat the original ballpark price the OP got, but have to agree now that their zany quote for even that job unfortunately leads back to the 'replacing parts' approach.

·
Registered
Cadillac
866 Posts
Have them put all of the disassembled parts in the trunk and take it to an independent shop. Pay half, easily.

Reactions: KRDCAD

·
Registered
2007 ESV
226 Posts
Truly a complete and total ripoff - get that truck away from that ripoff artist dealership. A cam and non-AFM lifters is about $300. Labor to replace (have to pull the heads) should be $1000 MAX. Gaskets and stuff should bring the total to less than $2000, all-in. I'd like to visit that dealership with a news crew and ask exactly what they think they are doing.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,592 Posts
The more typical GM dealer cost for cam and AFM lifter repair is $3500-$4500. At $9000 they are way off the norm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well.... got more info. $4100 and some change for parts. They said labor will end up being about $5000, so now $9100-ish total. They also told me they can put in a remanned engine with a 3yr/100k warranty for $11,500 which is tempting.

I'm not totally sure which direction to go in...
spend the money and do a lifter delete! we ordered our parts from Texas speed most of the parts were gm replacements some aftermarket and the parts cost us 900.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,242 Posts
$4100 for parts is preposterous, as is $5000 for labor.

·
2006 CTS 2.8
15 Posts
The cam lobe is also damaged. My dealer wants roughly $7000 to replace the cam and lifters. Is that a fair price for a dealer to charge? It seems high compared to what I've been reading about this repair job, but would like to hear from the group. I'm already $2000 into the tear down which will be applied to the overall cost and am waiting for a detailed breakdown of the estimate. Thanks
Sheesh $7000 could probably buy you another engine altogether

·
Registered
Escalade ESV Platinum
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the new engine front I got them to include oil cooler and trans cooler lines, motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, and a trans flush and filter for the $11,500 estimate. The engine is $4400 and they quoted me 28 hours of labor and I am still waiting for a detailed breakdown of the estimate. Can someone publish the GM labor rate for a new engine install on a 13 esv? I can’t imagine it’s that many hours.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,592 Posts
I don’t have the GM labor time but the engine replacement labor time using a different labor time guide is 17.6 hours. If they need to add in some time for the amount of diagnostics and current engine teardown, I could see it getting close to 28 hours. You’d be talking 1 hour? of diag and half the lifter replacement labor time?? That could add up to close to 10 hours.

·
Registered
Cadillac
866 Posts
On the new engine front I got them to include oil cooler and trans cooler lines, motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, and a trans flush and filter for the $11,500 estimate. The engine is $4400 and they quoted me 28 hours of labor and I am still waiting for a detailed breakdown of the estimate. Can someone publish the GM labor rate for a new engine install on a 13 esv? I can’t imagine it’s that many hours.
As mentioned before, have them put everything in the cargo area of the truck and tow it out of there to an independent shop.

You are being ripped off by 50% or more.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV Platinum
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Has anyone actually has this service done at a Cadillac dealer? How much did you pay? I really need an apples to apples comparison. Just saying “you’re getting ripped off” doesn’t help. I need data. Thanks

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
389 Posts
No one has had this service done at a dealer. It's a rip off and everyone has had it towed to a local repair shop to fix it. If you go for it you'll be the first ever.

Steve

·
Registered
Escalade ESV Platinum
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got the detailed listing of parts needed for the cam and lifters replacement. Attached. Looks like they are looking to replace just about every seal, gasket, and bolt above the crankshaft. And the VLOM and oil pump.

Can anyone recommend a good independent shop in the Minneapolis west metro?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts