Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Esscalade
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a purchase of an 02 Escalade with just shy of 200k miles. Its got the v8 6.0 and wondered if anybody else has experienced high mileage on these engines. I currently have a CTS that's sitting around 340k and runs like a champ. Price for the vehicle is $3,995 (wholesale basically) and has all the goodies. Advice please? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Check for leaks before you take it out for a test drive
While on the test drive make sure everything and I mean everything works
If anything doesn't work then it can be used to lower the price(air shock compressor is one item)

I have a 03 with over 200k miles and it's still running strong and love it

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
ChrisL058 said:
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm somewhat shocked there's only one response here.
It's been asked many times, so possibly a search of the forum would get you more results. Like Cadillac Man said...check to make sure every thing works (HVAC, lights, instrument panel, air ride suspension, seats, ect..ect) check for leaks under the truck.

I bought a 2006 ESV with 130K miles and had to replace: rear air shocks, air ride compressor, oil cooler lines, & air bag sensor. My four TPSM also need to be replaced, but that can wait. Otherwise , the truck runs strong.

Just browse through the forum and you will see some of the common issues as most of us are well over 100K on these trucks.

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,133 Posts
Our 2005 has over 200k on the clock. Aside for a couple common areas, it has been a bullet proof vehicle. I look forward to rolling another 100k on it!

·
Registered
2006 Escalade base 2wd
14 Posts
the wife decided she wanted a 7 seater vehicle a couple years ago. we found her '06 Escalade from the original owner after it had been stolen brand new off the car lot. Insurance rebuilt it - they bought it and drove it to 120k when they replaced it with a brand new Esky. When my wife was giving me the hard sell, I told her that "it's a vehicle full of clocks. The old cars, 60s, 70s, 80s, etc, the very first thing to stop working was almost always the clock. These (and all new cars for that matter) are chock full of clocks and some of those clocks are powered or controlled by another clock, which may in turn be run by a third clock. So when X doesnt work, it's not necesarily because X is broken, but Q thru W and Y and Z all need to be checked.

I've replaced:
tires and rebuilt TPMS sensors
water pump
1 cat converter

I need to repair / replace ( or figure out Q thru W and Y and Z) :
air bag light
head light housings broken or missing bulb socket "guts"
fog lamps broken and/or not working
driver seat heat (not working)
GPS not reading disc
DVD player doesnt work
pass running board rear end cap disappeared
soldered connection to back glass defrost grid came loose
and
currently repairing rear heat / air blend door - broken by an actuator that likes to hunt for position and over travel, thus shearing the blend door blade off of its' shaft.

All that said, do we like our old Escalade - yes.
Do I wish I would have talked the wife into the next one down the road - yes.
the plusses that made me say yes to this one were the glovebox full of receipts showing $3k in repairs in the year prior to our purchase, which included complete replacement of air ride suspension, A/C compressor drier, and clutch, etc.
the platform and drive train are solid (barring the 4x4's which like to silently trade fluid between the motor and txr case and subsequently shell out).
it's not a cheap vehicle to maintain everything on, but it is a nice vehicle to have, pull a trailer with, or to haul a bunch of kids when I'm concerned about how other parents might drive... "We can all ride in the Caddy!"

·
Registered
ESCALADE ESV PLATINUM
186 Posts
BRAVO!!!! I love this post !
the wife decided she wanted a 7 seater vehicle a couple years ago. we found her '06 Escalade from the original owner after it had been stolen brand new off the car lot. Insurance rebuilt it - they bought it and drove it to 120k when they replaced it with a brand new Esky. When my wife was giving me the hard sell, I told her that "it's a vehicle full of clocks. The old cars, 60s, 70s, 80s, etc, the very first thing to stop working was almost always the clock. These (and all new cars for that matter) are chock full of clocks and some of those clocks are powered or controlled by another clock, which may in turn be run by a third clock. So when X doesnt work, it's not necesarily because X is broken, but Q thru W and Y and Z all need to be checked.

I've replaced:
tires and rebuilt TPMS sensors
water pump
1 cat converter

I need to repair / replace ( or figure out Q thru W and Y and Z) :
air bag light
head light housings broken or missing bulb socket "guts"
fog lamps broken and/or not working
driver seat heat (not working)
GPS not reading disc
DVD player doesnt work
pass running board rear end cap disappeared
soldered connection to back glass defrost grid came loose
and
currently repairing rear heat / air blend door - broken by an actuator that likes to hunt for position and over travel, thus shearing the blend door blade off of its' shaft.

All that said, do we like our old Escalade - yes.
Do I wish I would have talked the wife into the next one down the road - yes.
the plusses that made me say yes to this one were the glovebox full of receipts showing $3k in repairs in the year prior to our purchase, which included complete replacement of air ride suspension, A/C compressor drier, and clutch, etc.
the platform and drive train are solid (barring the 4x4's which like to silently trade fluid between the motor and txr case and subsequently shell out).
it's not a cheap vehicle to maintain everything on, but it is a nice vehicle to have, pull a trailer with, or to haul a bunch of kids when I'm concerned about how other parents might drive... "We can all ride in the Caddy!"

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
200,000 is a lot. Some things to consider would be piston slap / lifter noise, transmission problems, broken exhaust manifold bolts, and ofcourse suspension problems. Also check the differentials and transfer case see if it was ever serviced and most importantly oil changes. How's the oil look? Excessive rust? Brake lines could be rotting out also. Check it all out and base your decision off of everything. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts