Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 eldorado NON touring
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is for a 98 Eldo but I suppose it would apply to a few others. When taken the old links out you will probably find the nuts come off relatively easy but removing tends to pose a difficult problem on the bottom bolt. The top comes out with a few good whacks from a hammer but you will find it hard to get and hammer swing room for the bottom bolt (very little room for an effective hammer swing) which faces inward (toward the car) first you have to have both sides of the front jacked up on stands - After knocking out the top bolt on both sides use a metal tool (the floor jack handle in my case) to push the sway bar (one long solid bar that links both sides so that when one goes up if forces the other up to stop that riding on stilts feeling) down on one side and leverage it under the steering linkage. This will give you and extra inch and that extra inch is critical to hitting that bolt. on the opposite side of the one you just leveraged Lay under the car and position yourself so that you are out stretched arm with hammer in hand will hit the end of the bolt. Wap Wap! a few times and it should pop right out after words reverse and do the same to the other side. I hope this saves someone some time. A little liquid wrench would not hurt but I did it without. It took me about an hour of futile 5 inch swings to look for a different way. This was it after leveraging I was out with the old and in with the new within 30 minutes. if this is a project which you will do this should help a ton.

from now on when I work on my car I will take pictures of the work I am doing and post how or what I did in the hopes of helping any other DIY'ers out there.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Not a bad idea. I may be dong mine soon after my bar bushings arrive. Another idea I had was to take two pieces of 2x4 and drill holes through them so that would fit over each side of the bottom part of the link and then push it out with a C-Clamp, because like you said, there's not a lot of swingin' room on the bottom link!

·
Registered
1998 eldorado NON touring
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad idea. I may be dong mine soon after my bar bushings arrive. Another idea I had was to take two pieces of 2x4 and drill holes through them so that would fit over each side of the bottom part of the link and then push it out with a C-Clamp, because like you said, there's not a lot of swingin' room on the bottom link!
yeah I would have gone the C-clamp route however.... I had broken it in a battle with a ratching piston before I knew that it would simply turn to compress for new pads

·
Registered
08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k
302 Posts
I am going to attempt this soon I am kind of thinking it may be out of my league but I may just give it a try anyway. Thanks for posting the tip.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
yeah I would have gone the C-clamp route however.... I had broken it in a battle with a ratching piston before I knew that it would simply turn to compress for new pads
WOW! I wish I could try it this week, but I won't be able to until next week. Goin' on vacation Thursday!

·
Registered
2002 Seville SLS, all black--261,000 miles
934 Posts
I am going to attempt this soon I am kind of thinking it may be out of my league but I may just give it a try anyway. Thanks for posting the tip.
Did mine today. Got rid of the clunking and generally smoothed things out. I didn't have OP's issue, but mine isn't an eldo--and neither is yours, though yours has been in the elements longer than mine. My bolts came out easily. If yours aren't seriously rusted it shouldn't be a problem, IMO.

·
Registered
1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille
244 Posts
Liberal spray of PB Blaster, and waiting 24 hours helps start things off right. Looks like mine were done 3 years ago, but that stuff helped get a rusty rotor off a Ford rear axle. Then, one short wap with a rubber mallet, and off it came. Good prep work will save you time on that job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts