Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I recently took my 07 CTS (95k mi) to the dealer to check out a p0008 code regarding the timing chain. Turns out the timing chain is covered under warranty, and they're also working on the ignition switch and airbag recalls while it's in there. I got a call from the repair salesman today, he said there's another code showing up regarding the cylinder head, which needs replacing. He didn't say if it's the right or left, but said parts for the cylinder head, gasket kit, bolts and seals would run somewhere around 800, and labor would be 1350, taking the cost of repair to about 2150. I just wanted to get some advice on here as I'm not sure what the best option is. He said the cost of labor would double if I did the repair later, as they already have the engine open for the timing chain deal. I'm actually looking to get rid of the car, but I owe about 7k on it.

He called back while I was writing this, saying his manager approved 10% discount, taking the repair to somewhere around 1900ish.

Thanks for any advice or insight.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There is no code for a bad head. If that's what they told you, be EXTREMELY suspicious.

The head itself? Valvetrain related? Head gasket? Question them before they do anything to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply. I asked the repair guy the code that the techs saw. Here's his reply:

CODE/P0021

1 cylinder head/left-488.26
Gasket kit-218.97
Bolts-41.05
Seals-35.11
Tax-47.00
Labor-1361.83

Total-2,192.22
-10%[email protected],973.00

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Cam timing over advanced..... How is this an issue with the head?

Several things can trigger that code. Ask him what the actual issue is and ask how it necessitates replacing the head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts