Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice about Bose and it’s replacement

I’m a true novice in auto audio. My knowledge is limited by likes and dislikes. So, I hope you all forgive me this post.

I have a 2001 Eldorado ETC with Bose radio. I don’t really like it. I think it sounds worse than in even my wife’s Toyota Solara. I went to my local Circuit City to see what they can offer. They promised me the world. However, after I asked if my OnStar will still work, the sales guy retreated and didn’t come back.

So here are a few questions.

1. Is the stock Boss system any good? According to this forum’s poll many would replace it. Is it worse replacing?
2. When comparing deferent head units, amps, and speakers, sales rep was using watts, amps, and range data. Where can I find this data for the stock Boss system?
3. All I need is GOOD quality sound of the radio and CD. I don’t need it to be too loud or have supper base. Any suggestions for replacement configuration?
4. Will my OnStar still work?
5. Can I still use Select and Volume of the steering wheel?
6. Any good current books, magazines, web sites to learn about auto audio?

If you think this discussion is not too interesting to others, send me a private message.

THANKS
:confused:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would leave the Factory Bose in the dash and opt for a Speaker Upgrade > Be sure to upgrade with good high quality speakers with butyl rubber surrounds and poly cones and check the wire leads on the speaker to make sure they are NOT bare copper, if they are they are low quality speakers. I would also look for speakers with a vented motor structure that helps keep the voice coil cool and make sure the midrange and Tweeters all have Bass blockers on them. Your factory speakers are cheap low quality speakers so replacing them with the right ones will make a huge difference in your sound. For more help click on this link > http://www.carstereohelp.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Advice about Bose and it’s replacement

Thanks for your help, Mike!

Would I also need an amp? And what about the 2 ohm, 4ohm deal?

·
Registered
630 Posts
As far as the Amp goes thats entirely up to you, I do like to run a 800 watt 4 ch. amp on my 6x9s and 4x6s in my Caddy, but you really don't have to if your Satisfied with the sound you get from your system. > I would upgrade the factory speakers 1st and see how you like that, then you can alway's add an amp later if you like. :D and as far as the ohm load > I like to keep a 4ohm load on my amps because they draw alot less current and also run much cooler that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Few more questions. Bose use 1 ohm speakers. Will 4 ohm work? Also in the stock system each of the speakers has an amp. Can I use them or not?

·
Registered
630 Posts

mcg-doc said:
Few more questions. Bose use 1 ohm speakers. Will 4 ohm work? Also in the stock system each of the speakers has an amp. Can I use them or not?
4ohm speakers Will work just fine and yes hook them to the Factory amps as well > But if you decide to Install an aftermarket 4 ch amp later on then the Factory Bose amps will have to be bypassed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Another question.

What is the power output of the factory Delco Bose head unit?

·
Registered
2 Posts

SoundAdvantage said:
4ohm speakers Will work just fine and yes hook them to the Factory amps as well > But if you decide to Install an aftermarket 4 ch amp later on then the Factory Bose amps will have to be bypassed!
I own a 1999 Cadillac Seville with the bose system and I am having a hard time finding out what size speakers are in my door panels. I'm going to pay someone to install them but I would like to pre purchase the speakers to save money. Do you have any idea where i can find out what size speakers i need?

·
Registered
11,694 Posts

mcg-doc said:
Another question.

What is the power output of the factory Delco Bose head unit?
In a Cadillac STS the output is 425W total, Id imagine its somewhat similar for the Eldo.

Edit: actually thats completely stupid... There is no real similarity between the speaker placement and makeup of these two cars so the output in the Eldorado is actually probably quite a bit less. I also dont know if the Eldo has a deck mounted sub.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Speaker size? crutchfield.com The sizes for everything are avail. look under "what fits my car".:yawn: as far as upgrading factory bose goes, if my GPS vehicle tracking would work without it, I would replace it with an dash dvd lcd player. You may want to search that thread because I see Bose replacement threads everywhere -Escalade forum for sure. check out the adaptor for adding a sub and amp with minimum modification.:D

·
Registered
120 Posts

Yea, Crutchfield.com has the speaker sizes for most cars, and if you want to learn more about car audio, go HERE

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just finished replacing the Bose radio that came in my 91 Seville with a Kenwood from Crutchfield. My Bose system was dropping one speacker at a time. First the left rear quit than the right rear next the right front. I was told by an out fit in FL that it was the amps that where failling and that they could be repaired for $100 each. There is a amp on each speacker plus a large one hanging from the rear deck. I tried buying speackers from a junk yard but they would not sell them only the radio, go figure.

I called Crutchfield and they walked me through picking the right head unit that would fit both the Cad and my budgit. I ended up buying not only the Kenwood reciever but 6 X 9 four ways for rear, 5 1/2 two ways for doors. Had to run all new wires to speackers as the bose wires wouldn't work. I also had to mod the door speacker mounts. I removed the bose speackers and there amps than cut out the hole where the speacker mounted and using a rotory tool grind them to fit my new speackers.

Used a very large and long plastic tie wrap as a wire snake to get the wires though the stock rubber door boots worked great. I also added a sirrus reciever which is mounted in trunk with reciever ant and trunk lid. The auto factory ant works as it did with stock radio goes up when radio is on and down when off. It sounds great. Without any extra amps just what the radio puts out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey,

This is just what happend to me when putting another headunit in my Seville. I got a Pioneer 7500 CD player that I wanted to put in. So I went to my buddys audio shop and got the right plugs ($30). A few days down the road we go to put it in and findout that Cadillac has all the wires run to the trunk to the built in amp. So we had to go buy a $95 kit with all the right kinds of wires before we could plug everything in. Ok, my point is better do your homework before you go to put another headunit in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Crutchfield.com says if you replace bose speakers with non-bose (kenwood 6'9s for instance), the factory bose stereo will need to be replaced due to compatibility issues. true or false?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
Suntan superman