Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love the mirror tinting on the Cad. Such a great feature. The last few vehicles I've had, have all had the electrochromic driver's mirror and reverse mirror. And since the first experience with it, I've been wondering how long it would take someone to convert this for use with window tinting.
Well, Ferrari finally did with the Superamerica. So then I thought my prayers were answered, as tints are pretty much illegal here (a light covering of dirt is darker then the allowable tints :) ). But now, here we are, 1 year later, over 5 years since the technology came out, and noone has developed it for widespread sale yet. Now, obviously this will be illegal somehow, once authorities and gov't got together. But this would be extremely popular. And I'm surprised now one has come up with a DIY application. I don't know anything about this stuff yet, but it doesn't seem overly complicated.

Anyone know much about the electromchromic technology?

Here's the Superamerica. Check out the sunroof. It can go from limo tint to basically clear at the touch of a button, with 3 steps between.
http://www.fast-autos.net/ferrari/ferrari575america.html

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
5,074 Posts
Whoa.....i SO want that. I didn't know such a thing existed. I am surprised no one has made it available yet either...Wow...that is amazing. It would DEFINITELY be illegal, but who cares, all my windows are already tinted....

·
Registered
86 Posts
omg. i thought of this idea a long time ago and just didnt quite know how i was going to do it. my ways were too energy unefficient and not as reliable as i wanted it. I was thinking of getting my idea pantented but thought it wouldnt pull through. I thought maybe i could use the technology from digital quartz watches and improvise it into our everday car windows. but with school tied up and everything i never got the chance to finish it. I highly regret not patenting my idea, could have made some extra cash.

FYI. I think VolksWagon made the system first. i dont know exactly if its the same way that Ferrari did their windows but it works. What they did was take two pieces of glass and put them together. But in between these two plates of glass was some kind of Electro-Film. Connected to the film was a switch in the cockpit. When the flim was not charged the film was dark and made the windows look as if they were tinted. And when you wanted to turn of the tint you could flip the switch and thus the charged film would go clear. :O

How come i didnt come up with this. it was so simple. . . .

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
These are the key words. Need more info guys!!

"The use of electrochromic glass means that the driver can completely control the level of light entering the cockpit. There are five tint levels available and the glass can go from dark to light in under a minute, at the touch of a button. "

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IHIeiniken said:
omg. i thought of this idea a long time ago and just didnt quite know how i was going to do it. my ways were too energy unefficient and not as reliable as i wanted it. I was thinking of getting my idea pantented but thought it wouldnt pull through. I thought maybe i could use the technology from digital quartz watches and improvise it into our everday car windows. but with school tied up and everything i never got the chance to finish it. I highly regret not patenting my idea, could have made some extra cash.

FYI. I think VolksWagon made the system first. i dont know exactly if its the same way that Ferrari did their windows but it works. What they did was take two pieces of glass and put them together. But in between these two plates of glass was some kind of Electro-Film. Connected to the film was a switch in the cockpit. When the flim was not charged the film was dark and made the windows look as if they were tinted. And when you wanted to turn of the tint you could flip the switch and thus the charged film would go clear. :O

How come i didnt come up with this. it was so simple. . . .
You can still come up with this! As far as I know, Ferrari is the only company using this technology as a tint. And it hasn't even shown up at SEMA yet. If you can custom fab something, you'd have so much business.
It's not too late :)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RobertCTS said:
These are the key words. Need more info guys!!

"The use of electrochromic glass means that the driver can completely control the level of light entering the cockpit. There are five tint levels available and the glass can go from dark to light in under a minute, at the touch of a button. "
Almost makes it sounds like it wouldn't let any light through, hey? As in, we wouldn't be able to see out at it's darkest setting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts