Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a newbie
I just purchased Cadillac CTS 2004 a week ago its a sport package .Now as my first upgrade I want to change my rims rite now I got 17" stock ones in thr and i m looking to go for 20" , and I know one's u put bigger size rims in your car ur cars lifts up makiing it look like a buggy so I want to drop it a lil bit as well . my question is wht kind of aftermarket adjustable suspension I could purchase tht can help me drop and raise the car whn I need it like in winter time,my other car has TEIN Street kit in it but I guess they dont make any thing for our caddy's and will this void my warranty ??

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
you could go eibach, much cheaper than coil overs, and drops it just right for 20"s . i don't think you would want to go any lower. i drove mine lowered last winter on 17"S i actually found it gave me better traction. with the the sport package you will have to swap out your rear shocks, i would recommend fe2's thay have the same dampning rate as your fe3's.
on that note i wouldn't mind coil overs for just the rear, i think i could get away with dropping it about another 1/2" to an inch, but would probably make for a rougher ride and some serious cambering.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the eibach dropping part but wht about whn winter hits and whn i will be changing my rims back to stock 17's i will need to raise my car aswell sorry for being ignorant but wht is this fe2's and fe3's i never heard about them i just need to drop it enough so it could give stock lookwith 20" if u know wht i m trying to mean : )_

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
Your only choice for an adjustable suspension is airbags and that has so far been disasterous. Maybe you could pioneer lowrider hydraulics. Fe2's and fe3's refers to factory suspension setups. Some are passive self-leveling. The Lux/Sports package is self leveling and the shocks need to be changed for lowering. If you continue off in the adjustable suspension direction you will be breaking new ground.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hold on for a min dkozloski u r saying tht my Sport Package CTS can readjust its height automatically whn i will install those 20" .. or am I m hearing only just wht i wanted to hear :p...well whn I m saying that adjustable I m not looking in to low rideing or like airbag setup i m just looking for some thing simple like whn summer comes I put in my 20's adjust my ride accordingly so they dont look odd and whn winter hits (It snow in toronto) so go back to my 17 and again adjust the shock so car dont end up hitting every snow bump.BTW its my first LUX + American car and I m telling you guys I m loving it .

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
no thats not what he's saying. the self leveling soprts shocks retain their hight under load, say you had two fat guys in your back seat, as you ride the shocks will pump them selves back up, so you have the same ride hight you would without a load. the cts like many other rear wheel drives are not the best in the snow. but i live in peg city, trust me we get way more snow than t.o. and i rode around o.k with my suspension lowered on 17's. just stay off the side streets until they are plowed and buy some good winter tires. like i said it seemed to tackle slippery roads better lowered, and a 1.5 inch drop isn,t goint to make you bottom out in most conditions, not unless you have a lip kit. people around here remove front spoilers in the winter with ground effects.
i have seen a coil over kit for the cts, it could be the one flying is mentioning. if you would rather that approach, you will however pay a nice sum of cash for it.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
Your only choice for an adjustable suspension is airbags and that has so far been disasterous.
not true, as long as you get airbags installed by a good proffesional shop it will be fine. i've got air ride technologies air ride system on my 2002 towncar & it works & drives like a dream!!

(it just put me back $6500)

koz is right if you only wanna spend $2000 on a air ride system!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
i think what he means is people bagging their cts have had issues with the stabilitrac and traction control.
oooohhhh...

that makes sense. my bad...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts