Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville D'Elegance
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger side doors on my 98 DeVille do not line up. I've only had the car since new and never noticed it until yesterday. It actually looks a bit worse in the picture than it actually is, but still off. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Thank you.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
6,507 Posts
from the pic I'm not sure if you're talking about the vertical gap width, or that the front door edge sticks out beyond leading edge of back door. If the latter, IIRC, you can adjust the striker on the frame. I think it's a torx bolt.

·
Registered
1998 Deville D'Elegance
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. Will try adjusting the striker, although it is lined up much closer on bottom than top. No attempted break in I don't think.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,429 Posts
It's NOT the striker. The real GM/Cadillac/Helm service manual gives the exact procedure for door alignment using the hinges (they are moveable up/down/sideways specifically for door alignment).

Find paper copies on ebay or online at www.alldatadiy.com.

Font Parallel Drawing Auto part Line art

·
Administrator
75,429 Posts
Do it correctly - there are special procedures for the hinges and backing plates - it's rocket science.

The original paper or DVD service manuals are out of print at www.helminc.com. Scary expensive there anyway.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, ','95 eldo,' ,'11CTS-V,'66 corvair.'03 deville,'00 deville
2,181 Posts
I'm not so sure, Jim.
You'd have to move the hinge side one hell of a lot to close the small gap at the striker side...
though the OP says the gap isn't uniform. Easier to attempt the striker than fool with the hinges.

·
Administrator
75,429 Posts
He's not narrowing the door-to-door gap top to bottom, he's correcting the top of the door being "out" farther than the bottom.

·
Registered
1998 Deville D'Elegance
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ordered a used copy of the 3 service manuals. The alignment with the front fender is off just a bit. Probably would never have noticed except for checking it now. Drivers side is lined up perfectly (for a GM). Width of gap is OK, just the top of door sticks out too far. Never a problem with forced entry. Bought car new and has sat in garage for most of its 23 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts