Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Sevile 97 SLS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
info 97 seville ,..91k, 4.6. ---notice the caddy manual tells you often not to put in additive treatments for the fuel or oil. Is this common for all cars, or is there a reason specifically for the Caddys.?

....If any savy caddy owners have used additives with success, which would you recommend.

thanks,

semi- new caddy owner,

97 seville sls

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
It's because additives are usually solvents that will eat away at the windings in the fuel pump and cause your fuel pump to die sooner... I wouldn't recommend using them, nor would most on here.

Fuel pumps in other cars vary in design. So additives can be perfectly harmless in a lot of vehicles. You have to read the manual to be sure though.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Most of that stuff is snake oil. GM and most manufacturers tell you not to use it for a reason. They're not needed.

·
Registered
Cadillac Sevile 97 SLS
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im using chevron supreme, and shell v power exclusively for the past 2 months and noticed thats when the sluggishnish started. Coincidence?
Anything in those fuels that could cause problems?

Previously was using USA supreme.

thanks, ( read ccp for further info..)

INFO 97 seville 91 k ,....4.6..........within the last 5 weeks or so, about 5 weeks apart, i've gotten the low oil pressure warning. Usually when the car is in use for about 30 mins. It does not overheat other than the Digital reading. Many posts here in the past have noted this warning, with no other symptons.

Today, when i smogged the car, i was told my catalytic conv. is defecient.
Probably needs a new one.

The car does run sluggish, sometimes, probably only noticeable to me since i now the car so well. My question is ,.... Which of the 2 is the more likely suspect?

And what am i looking at for each job.?

thanks,

gee

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
Anything in those fuels that could cause problems?
No. I have no allegiance to any brand and burn whatever has the best price. Never a problem.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
But shell and Chevron put stuff in there gas to make the motor quote un quote run cleaner. So I suppose if you where running crappy gas and switched to that stuff it could clog your fuel filter so replace and see if that restores your performance.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,970 Posts
Gasoline is a commodity that travels through pipelines from the refinery to market. No effort is made to separate one refineries output from another. Just like sewage headed for the treatment plant. Only different octane grades are unmixed. The additives that make one vendors product different from another are dumped in just before it hits the gas pumps. The only gasoline handled differently is aviation. If gasoline is crappy, the crap was added between the pipeline terminal and the gas station.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
I don't trust anything that is not top tier namely BP and some others. We have quik trip here that is where I typically go.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
I don't trust anything that is not top tier namely BP and some others. We have quik trip here that is where I typically go.
The gasoline all comes out of the same pipeline. The only thing different brand to brand is the stuff dumped in between the pipeline terminal and the filling station.

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
The question then becomes, why? I would respectfully suggest that you have fallen victim to slick marketing.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
From getting rammed in my behind summer after summer and if using top tier gas keeps my engine clean then I will use it. Course I have no proof that my engine is cleaner but it seems to run pretty darn good when i gas up at quik trip or shell. Chevron is not available here but I would use it if it was. Yes gas is gas I see the same trucks at every station but the additives are what make it better suposedly lol.

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
One of the rules I've always tried to live by is to buy gas at a "busy" station - stations that run a lot of product tend to have fresher tanks with less chance of sediment and other junk being sucked up. But Koz and the others are right, gas tends to be gas. Use what works for you, try to find the cheapest price, and don't obsess over it. There are many other things to be concerned about other than that.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Crappy gas usually comes from old pumps with a lot of sediment.
With the current EPA regs for storage tank construction, inspection, and maintenance the days of fuel tanks filled with sludge are a thing of the past. The required tank monitoring systems alarm over everything from theft to water in the bottom. It's no longer possible to ignore contamination problems.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
With the current EPA regs for storage tank construction, inspection, and maintenance the days of fuel tanks filled with sludge are a thing of the past. The required tank monitoring systems alarm over everything from theft to water in the bottom. It's no longer possible to ignore contamination problems.
:yeah:

Its sad that most of the common knowledge about gas is based on one bad experience, what our parents think, marketing hype, or seat of the pants dynos...

Old Pump, new pump, top tier, bottom tier, etc, etc...
Study after study has shown that Gas is Gas.

Not only does the EPA regulate the tanks and pumps they also regulate the gas itself. I have found no difference in Chevron vs Wallmart vs Costco vs Exxon vs BP... etc etc..

BTW I hate Amoco/BP/Arco gas, not because their gas is bad... but mostly because where I live their stations don't take credit cards and their attendants are rude.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
I wouldn't go to bp also because they are 20-30 cents more for ultimate like they think it's so much better yeah right they can kick rocks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts