Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a '04 Cadillac CTS and I would like to add some subs to beef up the lower end. Is it possible to add subs to the stock system and if so how should I go about doing it? My CTS has the Bose Premium sound system with the sub in the rear deck and a built in 6 disc in dash changer. I want to keep the stock system because it has the in dash changer and more importantly I have the Nav system which the radio is tied into and I don't want to lose the NAV system. I was wondering if I could just take the speaker inputs to the sub and just connect them to the high level inputs on an amp for the sub to get a signal that way? I know that that is not as clean as running in RCA's from a seperate pre-amp, but I am hoping that it might get the job done. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Im basically in the same boat as you, essentially were screwed. The sub is a free air sub so you can put another free air sub to replace it and itll sound better, but it wont be great...otherwise you need to put in a whole box and everything in the trunk....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply BUILDINGCTSAMG. I figured that just replacing the sub in the rear deck wasn't going to get me much. I am willing to give up a little truck space and build a custom enclosure in there with a seperate sub and amp but I don't know where to get the signal to send to the amp from since the stock head unit doesn't have sub pre-outs. Any ideas? Would using the speaker wires from the existing sub be a place to get a signal from? I would just remove the existing sub from the system and use the sub in the sealed enclosure for the bass at that point with it's own amp. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The problem is we have the free or open air sub in the back panel, i believe that can be split into a custom box (I was going to replace it with another free air to save space, but ive been told it just wont have a great sound, but i may still look into it....anyway i think the most important thing is that you need an amp to boost the signal to the sub

1 - 5 of 5 Posts