Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
What makes you think that you need to add anything? Todays oil are so much better than 20 or 30 years ago. They have all the additives that are needed already in them.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
you dont really need to add anything, but every other oil change I put a qt of ATF in to clean things out.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,483 Posts
Moezy, Slick 50 has been in and out of various car mags as the brand name changed hands and the product dodged court cases for false advertising.

Read GM's Technical Service Bulletin on oil and additives......it's in one of these threads somewhere - someone has a link - GM basically says "No additives are recommended".

If oil needed to be made "better", wouldn't the oil refiner do that instead of having you support yet another slick advertisement ?

Do you honestly think Dale Earnhart, Jr. runs any of that crap in his NASCAR ? Those stickers are paid advertising.

(The ATF thing is a holdover from the 60's that will not die. With today's high detergent oils and gasolines the procedure is completely unnecessary.)

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,987 Posts
Some years ago, court filings in a falling out between the partners in the company revealed that Slick 50 is ground up scrap Teflon and reclaimed crankcase drainings. Go right ahead and put garbage in your motor if you want to.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Moezy

Do you honestly think Dale Earnhart, Jr. runs any of that crap in his NASCAR ? Those stickers are paid advertising.
No, but having worked within the stock car and other racing industries, I will guarantee you that he doesn't run the same oil in his race car as you do in your street car.

Even many grass roots racing teams use special racing oil and NASCAR teams typically use oil developed specially for them by the various oil companies and it ain't cheap!

Additives on the other hand...probably not. I know, a little off topic. LOL!

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
you dont really need to add anything, but every other oil change I put a qt of ATF in to clean things out.
I need some clarification on this. You can put Automatic Transmission Fluid in the oil, and that will help clean things out? I've honestly never heard of this before joining this forum, so any details or instructions would help. How much would one put in? Would this be a good thing to do when I change my oil right before winter storage? Any particular brand to use; better yet, any brand not to use due to corrosive additives/potential gunk? Finally, what is the rationale behind this? I don't really know what would make ATF effective as an oil additive, so can someone clue me in?

·
Administrator
69,483 Posts
ATF, DEXRON, whatever, is a highly refined 10W hydraulic oil. Years ago, it was thought that the light weight and maybe added detergents (there aren't any) coupled with anti-foam additives would "clean" out sludge. It was the same principle of thought as the old Wynn's Crankcase Flush - solvent cleaning.

With today's oils and efficient crankcase ventilation systems the idea is moot.

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
Thanks Sub. Guess I'll stick to Mobil1 and occasional STP Oil Treatment (every third oil change).

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
STP is more snake oil. Save your money, you really don't need it. Just change the oil when it needs to be.

·
Administrator
69,483 Posts
I hate to do this......as Ranger just said: Stay away from STP. Please Google stuff like "stp" and "oil supplements". Read the ads and the test reports. Plus and minus. Your call. Read the Edelbrock, Comp Cams, and Engle works on engine assembly lubricants and STP. You might just get a bit scared: STP, in and of itself, IS NOT a lubricant. Why would anyone want to add a product to their engine oil that actually causes thickening and flow problems - engine parts depend on oil flow and viscosity control to cool critical parts like crank bearings, piston wrist pins, rings, and valve gear, not to mention the timing chains in a Northstar. (OK, where's the cooling jacket for a con rod ? It's called "oil".) Mess up the design oil flow and you have big problems. Been there, suffered from that. nuf ced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts