Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i almost bit the bullet and bought the factory radio/screen for my sts in hopes of installing a factory nav system. But once i looked into the nitty gritty details, i found it may be WAY more trouble than its worth.
THe following is the procedure for setting this up, IF you have the time, patience, and money!
Parts needed:
Display unit: $1000
GPS data unit: $1200
GPS Antenna: $200
GPS Radio(Resides in trunk) : $800

First off the display head unit: Is not a radio at all, its just a, display piece. You will lose your single CD function with this. You do need a seperate radio, but that actually resides underneath the back deck. Its under the UY4 package. It has 2 "c" connectors The factory bose radio will not work because it is missing a plug for navigation stereo input. (i thought i could just throw my factory radio in the back)
Next peice is the GPS data box which resides in the trunk. It connects directly to the radio and to the display unit. The extra wires needed to connect this besides power and ground are VSS wire and the serial data bus wire. The VSS can be found at the ECM, while the data wire is the purple wire on the ODBII diagnostic plug. And if you want to watch video on it, you will need the RCA connctor peice that fits into the glove box.(Just more wiring to do) Not a big deal. THen a seperate antenna must be used for the GPS and you must reroute a lot of wires to front to back and vice versa. MAinly the radio wires and cd changer wires from the front of the car to the rear deck. Then the wires from the GPS data unit to the fron of the car.
I spent 3 hours reading wiring diagrams from GM to figure out if i want to purchase the display unit for $71!!! And then slower buy the other pieces.
The determining factor for me NOT doing this project was getting a hold of the wiring harnesses for all these parts. Granted i could have soldered the wires right to the board, but to keep the factory appearence, i want plugs. And to get the harnesses from GM would be 1) a Pain in the rear 2)very, very expensive.
Being a certified MECP installer, i know i could handle rewiring the vehicle, but i think in order to get GPS in my car i will chose an easier route.
I will flush a garmin street pilot 3 in the dash below the heater controls, where the ashtray is. I dont smoke so i really dont need it. The size of the street pilot III is a perfect fit. THe following is a pic of how i did this in my previous vehicle. I can do the same thing in the caddy, for about $800 with parts and supplies. Instead of over $2000 for a factory NAV and probably close to30 hours of labor!!!

Once i complete the garmin project, i will definatly post pics.
Frank

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
if u are goin through this much trouble for a cd rom navigation system, let me tell you ITS NOT WORTH IT. the cd rom nav that caddy used for 2000 and 2001 models is very ill designed, there are no software upgrades available and to use the regualr radio everyday is just a pain in the ass. sometimes i contemplate taking mine out and throwin the stock radio in. but i do not get what u mean by there being a seperate radio in the trunk. my system consists of the head unit in the dash, the cd changer for the CDs, and the cd rom reader in the trunk. the head unit IS the radio. now if u want to replace it with a DVD nav than i think that would be more worth the time and effort. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Caddy Man said:
if u are goin through this much trouble for a cd rom navigation system, let me tell you ITS NOT WORTH IT. the cd rom nav that caddy used for 2000 and 2001 models is very ill designed, there are no software upgrades available and to use the regualr radio everyday is just a pain in the ass. sometimes i contemplate taking mine out and throwin the stock radio in. but i do not get what u mean by there being a seperate radio in the trunk. my system consists of the head unit in the dash, the cd changer for the CDs, and the cd rom reader in the trunk. the head unit IS the radio. now if u want to replace it with a DVD nav than i think that would be more worth the time and effort. just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,
I have not gotten the system yet and have not tried it. Sometimes I think that starting into it that I may not be able to put the system back the way it was and won't end up with anything! I may just end up reselling the entire system and sy the hell with it! Not worth the headache. I was really hoping it was just a plug / play system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cowdude said:
Hey,
I have not gotten the system yet and have not tried it. Sometimes I think that starting into it that I may not be able to put the system back the way it was and won't end up with anything! I may just end up reselling the entire system and sy the hell with it! Not worth the headache. I was really hoping it was just a plug / play system.
If you do give up I would definatly be interested in buying the complete DVD system. I'm going to bite the bullit when I buy the newer system and tackle it. My exsisiting system is cd rom based and sucks so why not. So again anyone who has the complete system and wants to sell, let me know. Thanks!!:confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Heres my $.02 on the issue of a killer navigation system.

I just went browsing around for prices on after market kits, since, in truth, I prefer the ergonomics of my 1999 D'elegance as is over the newer models and don't want to upgrade the car- besides, it's a true caddie with fins.

The price of the nav units as well as their hokey appearance and miniscule screens leaves me feeling rather blah. The GM units are a ergonomic night mare- I want one touch tuning on my stereo.

Therefore, the coolest, cheapest way to do this is to use the hack for the Onstar unit and integrate a used lap top- I know, I know, your thinking "What"????. but, there is plenty of room under the ashtray for the laptop to go, a top of the line thinkpad or toshiba from a few years ago will run only a few hundred bucks- mounting it will be a piece of cake- also removable for when you don't need it and, best of all, you will always have top of the line, up to date, mapping software.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No kidding? Where do you find the hack for Onstar???? This is something that I have never thought of before.
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Cowdude